♪ It's Only the Real World ♪ {7}

"Open your eyes
Like I opened mine
It's only the real world.
A life you will never know." -Careful

I don't exactly know how long I've been lying awake or how much pain I was in before the numbness took over my body. But when the hints of auburn started peeking through the darkness clouding outside, I knew I should start getting ready for school.

I slowly uncurled from my fetal position, testing out my extremities to see if anything was broken. Everything was sore and I bit my lips to keep from letting out a moan. As I tried to sit, I immediately felt a jab in my side, and I knew something in the area where Marco lashed out at was either broken or bruised. But my silent assessment told me I was mostly alright even though the pain sending signals to my brain told me otherwise.

I managed to get up with difficulty, and a swirling headache took over. Blanching, I swerved to the mirror like a drunken fool and instantly cringed when I saw my face.

No amount of make-up could hide the swelling in my lower jaw but at least concealer could hide the rest of the evidence from last night.

My suspension slip was on the floor, indicating that the actual suspension started in three days and that if I didn't show up to classes for the days prior to that, those days would add up and more consequences would be issued. The audacity of that; if I want to stay home, I should. After what I went through last night, I should have the right to stay home.

Hell, if I can't count today as a sick day, school should issue a day off on Act Like a Dinosaur day. But even with my extreme reluctance about going to Weston today, I knew I had to go because it was all a part of my new Master Plan that I thought up last night.

I was going to change; I'm not going to hide myself behind a mask of indifference anymore. Because now I'm determined to live; I'm determined to choose the better path and find a way leave my old self behind. They'll get a new side to me that they've never seen before. And the best part is?

They won't know even know what hit them.

--

I slipped out of my window for the third time in the past two days. With my earphones blasting blink-182 at full volume, my backpack slung over one shoulder, and Rev in my hand, I made my way carefully down the oak tree and landed lightly on the ground successfully without further injuring my abdomen.

I took a glance at my apartment, my face contorting into a scowl. Why have I always thought of this place as my haven? For Pete's sake, my mind was wrapped too tightly around the thought of my life possibly getting a happy ending that the severity of my situation was overshadowed. My own step-father was abusing me, I could barely feel any positive emotions, and my intentions were going about the wrong way. Thank God, reality slapped me awake. Besides, everyone knows happy endings only existed in fairy-tales and stories.

With a derisive snort, I turned on my heel and started off for school, my inner GPS telling me which turns to turn, shortcuts to use, and showing me the way to my destination.

Recalculating...

My footsteps faltered as I passed by Lakeside, the events of last night instantly bombarding my spinning head. Checking my iPod, I realized that I still had a half-hour before school started. There was plenty of time to kill. Besides, Weston High was only about two minutes away.

With a small half-smile, I headed to the gates, touching the golden padlock that kept my haven locked away; it was keeping the place safe. If only I could find a padlock large enough to keep my own self safe. The park opened later on in the day. Memories of Tilted Reality's performance raced through my mind and I could almost hear their music and intermingling voices as if they were right there beside me.

My eyes closed as I held onto the padlock, listening as the song on my iPod finished and Flyleaf's Believe in Dreams started up. Usually, I wasn't a fan of acoustic songs because they were far too quiet and usually didn't have drums in them, but there were always those certain songs that you just can't not enjoy.

I let out a soft chuckle, realizing that once again my music device read my mind. It was just a coincidence that I was thinking of my conversation with Blake, and a Flyleaf song comes on.

Listening as Lacey Sturm's soft, wispy voice flooded through my ears, I started to sing along, picturing myself in the lyrics. "I know... days will come and go. Maybe I'll grow old, but I will die. For now, is it worth it to be sad if it's harder to be glad to be alive?" The rest of the song came too quickly as the acoustic guitar faded out with one last strum.

A soft round of applause brought me back to the present and I whirled around to see who was behind me. I felt a smirk try to make its way onto my features but I held back when I saw who it was. Talking about coincidences...

"Why am I not surprised to hear you singing along to your own song?" His voice eventually spoke as he lowered his hands to his sides, grinning a bit. "Hello again, Sturm."

"Hey yourself, Harnage." I felt myself respond, feeling an odd sense of ease wash over me. I took out my earphones and wrapped the chord around the Nano and the. placed in my pocket. I also shoved Rev into my left combat boot before adding, "You stalking me or something?"

Blake sent me a pointed look, rolling his eyes. "Why are you so insistent on the idea that I'm a serial killer or rapist?"

"Because secretly you are."

He laughed, sending a pleasant sensation running through my body. It sounded almost magical if that was corny enough, almost as if his laugh could cure freaking cancer or something. "Well, like I said yesterday, I'm innocent. I swear it."

Arching one eyebrow, I let my hand fall from the padlock as I crossed my arms. "Oddly enough, I believe you. So what brings you here?"

"I'm on my way somewhere," He replied bluntly, shrugging. "I passed by the park, saw some creep standing by the gates so I went to investigate. Who would've thought I'd see you singing in that beautiful voice of yours?"

Feeling myself start to blush, I scowled at him and shook my head, making my bangs fall into my eyes. and hide my flaming cheeks. Snorting and brushing back the hair, I retorted, "Showering me with compliments again, I see."

"No, really. Your voice is really nice. Like, naturally hoarse but in a pretty way. You know, like Taylor Jardine or Juliet Simms?" Blake insisted, gesturing with his hands.

I tried not to smile, otherwise I'd show him friendliness, something I did not possess. I didn't want our mutual acquaintance to end with him trying to understand me; dissect me as if I were an experiment like everyone else did.

"Good taste in music." I answered instead, not wanting to seem like an attention whore fishing for compliments.

"Why, thank you, mademoiselle." He beamed, mock bowing.

Chuckling through my nose, I froze up again at the sound, feeling that weird sensation once more. How could he do that? Just one action by him and my defensives instantly shatter. It made no sense.

Sensing my tension, Blake straightened himself and finally took a good luck at my face. "Hey... Sturm, what happened to you? Are you alright?"

Stepping forward, he reached out a calloused hand and stroked my cheek, making me shiver. But not from the weather. Either he didn't seem to notice or he mistook me as cold, Blake frowned at the purple bruise stretching from my cheek to my chin.

I flinched at his scrutinizing expression and slapped his hand away, some part of me longing for his warmth on my face again. "Don't touch me." I hissed, feeling the deja vu appear, and then suddenly, my defenses were back up.

"Sturm..." He muttered, shaking his head and reaching out his hand again.

"Did you freaking hear what I just said? Don't touch me!" I yelled, exasperated. I took a step back, anything to get away from his pitying expression. The pity expression peeled away to reveal an emerald gaze filled with anger. But I could tell it wasn't at me.

"Who did this?" Blake demanded, balling his hands into fists. My own hands shook slightly at his words, feeling cornered. I never had to deal with before. I always covered up the evidence and pretended so well that nobody noticed I was hurt.

"Nobody!" I choked out, my voice sounding strangled. "I fell."

"Bullshit." He said, coming closer to me as I continued to back up, feeling my back press into the iron gates. Now I really was trapped.

"No." I lied firmly, bringing my hands to the front of my body in case I had to do self-defense. "I really did. See, I snuck out last night to watch that band and I climbed through the window-" I started to babble, anything to make him believe. "And since my room's on the second floor, I had to climb down an oak tree. So like, after I left last night, I kinda slipped on a branch and fell."

Blake seemed skeptical and stared at me, reminding me a bit of Carter. But unlike what Carter would've said, he murmured, "You're lying. But I won't press the issue. You'll tell me eventually."

Don't bet on it. I thought to myself but said nothing. Suddenly, the pain in my ribs started up again, and I winced slightly, pressing my hands to my gut. Blake was instantly at my side.

"From the fall?" He guessed, his voice lacking conviction.

I forced a nod, glad he didn't press the matters forward. "From the fall." I reassured lamely.

His gaze locked with mine and I found myself mesmerized by his emerald green eyes again. Underneath those piercing eyes was an unreadable expression and I found myself wanting to find out what it meant.

Breaking away from our staring match, I turned my head, settling my electric blue eyes onto a rock instead. "Look, this was actually nice seeing you again but I have to get going." I said, shoving his chest (was that a six pack? Oh, God.) roughly to get him away from me as I reached down to scoop up my fallen bag.

He beat me to it and scooped up the 60 pound monster easily, his muscles rippling underneath the black AC/DC shirt he was wearing. I tried not to stare at his chest as he helped put the backpack onto my shoulder but I guess when I looked away I wasn't quick enough.

"Like what you see?" He grinned, flexing his biceps.

"Oh, shut up." I rolled my eyes teasingly and the mood from before vanished in a flash. It was obvious Blake was still concerned, I could see it now in his eyes, but he acted carefree and nonchalant like before the conversation ever happened.

And for that, I was grateful.

"School?" He guessed, gesturing to my plaid bag.

"Yep," I replied as I made my way past him and onto the sidewalk. "And I'd rather not be late again, so I'm gonna get going."

Before I took a step forward though, a question popped into my mind and I spun around to see him standing where he was at the gate, watching me with an amused expression.

"Yes, Sturm?" He asked, raising one eyebrow as he smiled his crooked smile.

"Are you new here?" I asked, the thought about not seeing him around before yesterday ocurring to me.

"I guess you could say that." He answered amiguously with a shrug, the contour of a smirk playing around the tips of his lips.

"Huh." I replied and sent a half-wave, half-salute his way before turning around and making my way down to the school.

--

I rounded a block before I heard them. The footsteps. So, I stopped walking and the footsteps stopped. Frowning, I walked forward again and I heard the same pair of feet behind me again.

I stopped walking. They stopped walking.

Starting to get a little suspicious, I tried to force away the ongoing panic attack as I hurriedly made my way down the sidewalk, trying to rid myself of my potentional kidnapper/stalker. The footsteps mimicked my faster pace and when Weston High was in sight, I couldn't help but heave a sigh of relief. And even though I knew it was always stupid for the victim to look behind them when they were trying to run away from the danger, I glanced behind me anyway, and instantly skidded to a stop.

"Harnage!" I cried out, half in relief, half in extreme irritation.

"What?" He asked innocently, blinking his laughing green eyes at me.

"Why are you following me?" I questioned, narrowing my own gaze.

"Who said I was following you?" He laughed, and I swear the angels above were swooning over the sound.

"Well, let's see. I'm heading this way... and you were basically right behind me every step of the way. I'm just gluing the facts together. Wait. Are you a new student at Weston?"

Blake shrugged and smiled crookedly again, as if he knew something I didn't. He didn't reply to my question either, so I rolled my eyes, adjusted my bag and turned around to continue the rest of the the way to the school grounds. I heard Blake's footfalls behind me but since I knew it was him, I wasn't as anxious as before.

Pretty soon, I was on the curb of the looming, illustrious building known as Weston High; with three expansions, decaying brick walls on the exterior, and iron wrought gates covering the entire premises, it looked more like a prison than a school. But I knew not to judge a book by its cover since the inside was as beautiful, restored, and modern as a building own by the rich could get.

Something seemed suspiciously array, and since this one of the few times I actually made it to the school before the bell signaling homeroom rang, I wondered why everyone was talking so loudly and seeming more excited than usual.

Girls were screaming and clustered in groups with large posterboard signs. Since I was behind them, I couldn't read what the signs said but I could tell today was going to be a big day for Weston students.

"Lacey!" A male voice called out and I turned to see Xander, followed by Carter, running over to me with gigantic grins on their faces. Not good.

"Carson! Guess what?" He called out, stopping right in front of me and scooping me up into a bear hug. I let out a soft cry of pain as the pain in my side doubled in intesity. He didn't seem to notice my pain because he continued his hugging me until Carter cleared her throat.

The both of us blushed a deep red; his out of embarrassment, and mine out of annoyance, and Xander released me reluctantly.

Carter grinned and winked at me before jumping onto her skateboard and extending her hands to the heavens. "You cannot believe who's here!"

"Johnny Depp?" I guessed half-heartedly, the sarcastic tone in my voice evident.

"Uhm... noo..." Carter drawled out, staring at me like I had two heads.

Xander shook his head and grabbed my hands in his large ones, squeezing them lightly and grinning, "Tilted Reality's here! At our school! Can you believe it, Carson?!"

I felt my eyes widen at the news and I couldn't help myself, I turned around to see his reaction to the announcement. But disappointment settled in my stomach, right next to the pain, when my eyes caught sight of the empty space behind me. My suspicions at the end of last night's chat with him were confirmed by his actions just now because— Well. Blake was nowhere to be found.

I guess I know what that means.

--

I wasn't supposed to upload this chapter until my friend uploaded her new story, but it's been 3 weeks and I've been itching to post it so I got her permission and here I am. I hope you enjoyed it. Next update will be soon (hopefully). You got that, Star?

Stay lovely,
Isabelle