♪ Sing Us a Song ♪ {42}

"Sing us a song
and we'll sing it back to you.
We could sing our own
but what would it be without you?" -My Heart

----

It took forty two minutes and thirteen seconds for them to show up.

It wasn't like I was counting or anything though. My foot tapped anxiously on the concrete; I sat on the step leading up to Drake's porch, arms crossed against my chest as I waited. I guess some part of me was nervous to see them, and another part was terrified that they wouldn't show up - that this whole thing was some giant revenge and they actually never wanted to see me again.

The sound of gravel crunching a few feet away made me look up, and my foot paused in it's erratic movements. It was a white Honda minivan, pulling up onto the driveway. In the drivers seat was Drake's mother; I recognized their similar features and the exact same grin on her lips. Riding shotgun was her son, who was absentmindedly staring out the window.

When Drake caught sight of me, I saw his face change into a small, hesitant smile and gave a wave. I waved back weakly, trying to get a glimpse into the back seat to find the rest of the members of Chasing Avenues.

The van pulled to a stop, the squeak of the wheels against the pavement music to my ears. Instantly, I got to to my feet, poised on my toes in anticipation.

The doors opened one by one, and soon they began to filter out.

Drake came first, his unruly hair scuffed and sticking out - he never combed it anyway, why start now? Wearing a light blue tank top and dark jeans, he hopped off the vehicle and onto the grass. Zac was the first to appear from the back seat; unlike Drake, his black hair was kept tidy and neat, his bangs covering the sweep of his forehead. Hopping out as soon as the coast was clear was a familiar mop of blonde hair, his grin widening as soon as he caught sight of me. Xander waved rather energetically and I let out a small chuckle.

And then came Gabriel.

He dragged himself out of the vehicle, his movements unnecessarily slow at first but it wasn't until I saw his face that I realized he didn't intend it to be that way. He looked even paler than usual; I was hoping that it was a trick of the light from the stage lights and camera, but he really did look more pallid.

"Hey, Gabriel," I greeted a little hesitantly but the boy just shook his head at me, frowning slightly. A little hurt, I bit my lip and turned back to Drake, who walked past me to unlock the front door of his home.

"God, it feels good to be back," he groaned into the foyer, kicking off his shoes as soon as he passed throught the threshold. "I need my bed. Stat."

"Drake," Zac warned, rolling his eyes. His eyes flickered to me for a split second before returning the guitarist. "I think we have some more important matters than your mattress." That remark had Drake sobering and he instantly grew sober, nodding urgently.

"You all know where to go," he smirked, nodding to the familiar door that held fond memories - either good or bad. "I'll get the lemonade." I blew out a breath, curiosity piquing over their strange behavior, as if they were containing secrets inside and didn't want to explode. Gabriel, especially. Zac opened the door to the basement, gesturing for us to go first. Xander pulled up beside me and swung an arm over my shoulder as we made our way down together.

"What's going on?" I whispered to him discreetly, watching his adam's apple bob as he swallowed.

"You'll find out soon enough," he beat around the bush, removing his arm from my shoulder and opting to run it along his messy hair. I narrowed my eyes in his direction but said nothing, my feet hitting the linoleum carpet at the foot of the staircase. He flicked on the lights, bathing us in a fluorescent golden hue. He left me as I paused in my stride, flopping onto one of the couches and closing his eyes.