Chapter 5

***Okay, so this was just sad. Also, you can be ready for some dRaMa in the next few chapters or so. Okay, you can expect drama throughout the book. Whatever.***

***(Nya's POV; song for this chapter: "You Are the Reason" by Calum Scott)***

As soon as I get back to the monastery, I'm off Lloyd's motorcycle and heading inside. I know for a fact Jay is having a freak-out moment right now. He doesn't like being away from people for long – it just kind of bothers him – and unless Misako decided to check on him, he's been alone for over eight hours now.

"There goes my heart beating,

'Cause you are the reason

I'm losing my sleep.

Please come back now."

"Jay?" I call, stepping inside. None of the guys will be here for a while – Cole's out with Seliel, Zane's staying at school late to study with a student who's struggling in English, and Lloyd is doing who knows what.

I don't hear a response, so I head back to my room. "Jay, buddy?"

"Nya?" I hear him sniffle from inside.

I open the door to find him in tears, and I cringe. Jay doesn't like being alone. He's so social, he should probably go stay with his parents for a few days while he's ill.

"And there goes my mind racing,

And you are the reason

That I'm still breathing.

I'm hopeless now."

"Hey, buddy," I smile, coming to sit beside him on his bed. I wrap my arms around his chest and hug him tight. "What's wrong?"

He pulls me to him. "I-I just got worried, is all. My m-mind plays tricks on me w-when I'm alone."

"I get it." I rest my head on his shoulder. "You should go to your parents' until you're better, Jay. No one wants you freaking out."

"No!" he begs me, his voice adamant.

I frown. "Why? You shouldn't just be left alone with your thoughts. It's not good for you."

"B-but then you won't be around."

I sigh. "Jay, I know you like me to take care of you, but this isn't about us. This is about your physical and mental health, right?"

"Y-yeah." He buries his face in my hair. "But I don't want to be away from you."

Ouch. Once he gets better and I put some space between us, it's going to be hard for him.

"I'd climb every mountain

And swim every ocean,

Just to be with you

And fix what I've broken.

Oh, 'cause I need you to see

That you are the reason."

A niggling of doubt rises in my mind, as it has for the past two months. Do I really have to leave? Is there some way I could fix myself while I'm here, so I don't have to go?

But even if I did find a way to stop hurting others, I would still have to separate myself from Jay for a while. I don't think there's any other way for him to break his obsession.

I feel my phone buzz in my pocket, and I pull it out. It's from Cole.

Cole: electrical explosion at factory in Nom. need 2 check it out