Chapter One

ChapterOne 

The bar was crowded and smoky and by the looks of it, it was becoming rowdier by the second. She knew then looking at the groups of leather clad yelling and cat calling crowd, that Janice her co-worker and supposed friend had abandoned her. Worst then that she had been set up by her co-worker who had promised Selene a 'girl's night out'. Selene had been so desperate to meet some girls her own age that she had ignored the signs of Janice's malicious intent. 

Even a live band couldn't play this joint. She saw some women dispersed in the crowd but they were dressed the part, with skin tight leather pants and their colored bras blatantly showing; crawling over the limbs and laps of their male counter parts. 

Selene was out of place in her knee length baby blue dress with her knit white sweater. She noticed a pay phone over by the bathroom which seemed to be the only decently lit area in the place. Okay, she thought, I'll just try to make it over to the pay phone to call for a cab without getting groped. She made it four steps pass the bar before she was grabbed about the waist and draw back against a hard body. The man's jacket had several zippers that cut into her back. 

"Let go of me." She squeaked. The man laughed. She didn't even know what he looked liked, it didn't matter she just had to get away. She tried to pull his arm form around her middle. 

It was then that she looked up, not expecting help, but hoping to find it. She caught and held the gaze of a man who was previously leaning against the wall watching a game of pool. From what she could tell he had dark hair but it was hard to see because he wore a broken-in red cap. It shaded his eyes, which she knew instinctively would be some exotic color. His body was clad only in pair of low riding jeans and a white t-shirt that stretched over his broad shoulders and wide chest which tapered severely down to his narrow hips. He was tall and when he started over toward her it felt more like she was being hunted. 

As he came closer she could feel the man behind her tense up. His breath which reeked of alcohol filled her nostrils. When the second man was only about five feet away he held out his hand toward her. The man who held her hesitated and the red hat man tilted his face back to reveal his chiseled features. It was a command pure and simple. There would be no argument, no discussion and nothing but unaltered compliance. 

She found her self free, but only briefly because she was instantly pulled up against the red capped stranger's body. There wasn't a breath between them. She was pulled onto the dance floor and her partner and her were swallowed up by the crowd. There was music but she didn't hear it. Her body and his moved to a different rhythm. The beat that had been played against a thousand drums over the course of time. It was animalistic and blatantly sexual. His hands didn't touch her, they didn't need to. While moments before she had been ready to bolt, she now pressed her body up against his, her hands that had never touched a man before slowly worked their way up his chest to twine around his neck; playing with his longish hair at his nape. 

Suddenly their spell was broken, a group of drunken men had picked a fight with another group drunk men and their fight had pushed out into the crowd. Other uninvolved patrons of the bar didn't take kindly to having their drunken stupor interrupted so they decided to join in. The red capped man pushed Selene behind him, he assessed the scene and took Selene's hand and headed for the door. 

Selene made no objections. She followed him through the craze of the crowd. Over the noise of glass breaking and fists hitting flesh Selene heard a boisterous laughter from the corner of the bar. She turned her gaze from the back of the man in front of her towards the noise. 

Out of the shadows she could barely make him out. He was tall and lanky; his hair was black and hung below his shoulders. He was older, yet his handsomeness had not been dimmed. His marble white face was marred only by his manicured goatee. His eyes were twin pieces of coal that flickered to hers. His expression froze when he saw her. His mouth moved, but she didn't know what he said. The men at his sides rose to attention but before she could examine the situation she was outside.