31- Condolences and Awkward Conversations

A/N: This chapter is mostly about filling in gaps and setting the stage for my next spinoff revolving around Carter and Wanda.

***

All at once the aliens began to turn to dust as Tony had used the stone to wipe out Thanos's army.

The Avengers looked around the battlefield in shock as only seconds ago it had felt like they had lost.

Within minutes everything that remained of Thanos was gone and victory settled upon the heroes.

But a war was never won without casualties.

Tony braced himself against a pile of debris as he fell to the ground. In shock, and in pain. His body couldn't take the power of the stones but it did.

Half of his body was a charred mess having taken the toll from the power of the stones.

Words flew through Tony's mind as he knew he was breathing his final breath.

Pepper.

Morgan.

Peter.

Rhodes.

The Avengers.

You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play.

Steve's words from just over ten years ago rang out through his mind.

His vision blurred as Rhodey landed in front of his, no words needed to be said but they both knew.

Peter landed next to him and was immediately overridden by shock.

"Mr. Stark." He said running up to him. "Mr. Stark. Can you hear me? It's Peter. Hey. We won, Mr. Stark. We won, Mr. Stark." Peter cried. "We won! You did it, sir, you did it."

Pepper tugged at Peter until he moved wanting to share her final moments with him.

"I'm sorry, Tony." Peter cried as he moved out of the distraught with grief and guilt.

Pepper knelt in front of her husband. "Hey." She whispered. 

"Hey Pep." Tony said to her as she placed her hand on his chest, he placed his own over the to of hers.

Together they shared their final moments.

"Friday." Pepper said to her.

"Life functions critical."

Tony gave the best smile he could.

"Tony?" Pepper said to him as his face began to roll over. "Tony, look at me." She said to him.

He used his final strength to look at her.

"We're going to be okay." She said reassuring him that her and Morgan were going to be okay. "You can rest now." Pepper cried as Tony's head went limp and he moved onto the afterlife.

Pepper held it together as best she could before she broke down and Tony's light finally went out.

The Avengers looked on in sadness as Pepper kissed Tony's cheek.

***
A day later

A Quinjet roared over an old farmhouse and a teenage girl was the first on the porch watching as it landed.