Two

Amir

"Welcome home, Mr. Thompson. We hope you enjoy your stay."

Hopping off the jet at George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Amir grinned at the sight of Taj's all black Chevy Malibu parked on the landing strip not too far away. Before leaving California a few hours prior, Amir asked her to pick him up. Taj immediately left him on read but there she was, refusing to look up from her phone because she was acting like she wasn't excited to see him.

"Thank you for picking me up love," Amir greeted after putting his bags in the trunk and sliding into the passenger seat. Her car smelled like every fall scent in Bath & Bodyworks and was full of sunflower decor; those were two of Taj's favorite things.

Leaning in Amir's direction, Taj put her elbow on the center console and sat her chin on her fist as she tried to be discrete in analyzing his appearance. Amir was dressed simply in an all black Nike Tech suit, black Jordan 4's, and a gold chain, but his demeanor made the outfit look like so much more than it was.

Damn, he look good. Not making those thoughts known because Amir was not her man, Taj spoke with squinted eyes, "Why you have me come get you?"

"Damn, I just got back home. You can't show a nigga no love," Amir asked without acknowledging the posed question, redirecting his attention from Taj's whole face and to her overly-glossed lips. They almost immediately tuned up when Taj realized how Amir was eying her.

"No."

Amir chuckled and exhaled before adjusting the passenger seat so that he was nearly laying down and putting on his seatbelt as Taj drove toward the airport's exit. He wasn't gonna say it, but Amir was pleased to see that the seat was originally up at a ninety-degree angle.

She know better, he thought.

"Where am I taking you?"

"Chipotle. I know you hungry."

"Mhm. And after that," Taj asked, picking up her phone from the cup holder and typing out a quick message to her best friend.

I can't stand your cousin.

"My moms'. I need to see my Aubree." Amir really missed his sister and he knew Aubree would have a fit if she found out he'd went anywhere before coming to see her.

"Aww, I miss my girl," Taj responded, speaking honestly. After waiting for the clearly inexperienced driver to the right of her to make a left turn because they had the right-away, she took a right and prepared to merge onto the freeway.

"You know you her 'sis'. She was mad about you not FaceTiming her back a few days ago," Amir stated, unlocking his phone, going to iMessage, and clicking on the third thread from the top.

Your best friend get on my
fuckin nerves. 

Shortly after Amir placed his cell on his lap, the two received notifications at the same time from a group text with Kharisma.

BOTH of y'all are getting on
my nerves. Leave me out y'all
stuff. 🙂

"Not you texting Riz about me."

"You did the same shit," Amir sucked his teeth and went to he and Kharisma's thread to send another message because she had already left the group she created with the three of them: I want my round when I see you.

"Whatever. Send me some gas money for my services."

*