Seven

Kaine

"Why are you here," Chloe questioned when she exited from her bedroom, seeing Kaine coming through and closing the front door of her on campus apartment.

"Quit actin'," Kaine responded and kicked his slides off since he knew Chloe liked to keep her white area rug as clean as possible. He then walked the short distance to her dark grey sectional and made himself comfortable, ignoring how Chloe stared in his direction with both disbelief and irritation plastered on her face.

"I'm not acting," she stated sharply before a thought popped into her head. "Matter of fact, give me my key back," Chloe continued, walking closer to Kaine's seated form with her hand out. Chloe had honestly forgotten that because of what she and Kaine had going on at one point in the past, she gave him a key. It wasn't until this very moment that she remembered and felt some regret for that decision since Kaine thought it was okay to just pop up unannounced.

Staring up at Chloe, Kaine chose to ignore her statement, asking the question that had been floating around his head for about a week since he saw her in Juicy Crab. Honestly, Kaine could not care less about who the guy was, and was just curious to know when Chloe started going out in public with any male other than himself. "You was wit dude to make me jealous?"

Rolling her eyes hard enough for them to nearly fall from her head, Chloe crossed her arms across her chest and tilted her head to the side. "You think I'm spending my precious time and effort to make you jealous? When you don't even want me? You crazy in the head. Give me my key."

"Who said I don't want you," Kaine inquired, standing up from his seat on the couch to slightly tower over Chloe's frame. Stepping into her space with a smirk, Kaine waited for Chloe to respond but instead she just stared up at him, her eyes flickering back and forth from his eyes to his lips.

"Hm," he questioned again, slowly wrapping his arms around Chloe's waist without breaking their eye contact in the slightest. When she didn't respond, Kaine lowered his lips to her own and that contact immediately resulted in a sensual make out session, both of them becoming lost in a sensation that they missed so much.

Squeezing her waist as Chloe's arms began to slither up his body and around his neck to rub his waves, Kaine bit her lips as to ask for entrance that he was quickly awarded. After massaging her tongue with his own for a moment, Kaine pecked Chloe's lips and moved his kisses down the side of her face, reaching the nape of her neck in no time. Chloe's breath hitched when Kaine found her spot and memories of their nights in bed together flashed in her mind before she reluctantly found her words.

"K-Kaine, no," Chloe broke lust-filled silence that had consumed the living room. "I'm not doing this."

Stopping his torture to her body immediately, Kaine pulled his lips from her skin and Chloe backed up from his embrace with a look of confusion on his face.

"I'm not the one who hurt you, but I been on the receiving end of this emotional tug of war with you for almost a year, and I can't do it no more," Chloe admitted, pausing at the end of that sentence before saying something that Kaine didn't deserve to know.

Chloe couldn't tell Kaine that she loved him and that instead of kicking him out, she would rather cuddle and joke with him for rest of the night. If Kaine knew that although he had pushed Chloe away for so long she still wanted to be with him, that would only allow for further manipulation and Chloe truly had to choose herself, regardless of what unfortunate events happened for Kaine to get to this point.

"Give me my key and you can leave," she finished. Spending seconds trying to gather the words to respond with, Kaine came up with nothing. Respecting Chloe's wishes, Kaine then removed the key to her apartment from his lanyard and placed it in her palm before getting on his slides and exiting out the front door, defeat hovering over him like a rain cloud.