011. THE SLUG CLUB

Emma hadn't put that much thought into what she would wear to Slughorn's Christmas Party, so there was a minor rush in the girls dorm that evening

Emma hadn't put that much thought into what she would wear to Slughorn's Christmas Party, so there was a minor rush in the girls dorm that evening. Daphne had offered for Emma to borrow her clothes, but the cousins were quite different in height. Daphne was much taller, so her mini dresses usually fell to below Emma's knees.

"This is fine," Emma said, holding her hands out in front of her as she stood in front of the mirror. "This is fine," she repeated, as if to convince both herself and Daphne.

Daphne's eyes ran down Emma's figure, which was dressed in a simple red dress made of satin. The fabric felt cold against Emma's skin, so she pulled on a black cardigan, since the dungeons would be freezing at this time of the night. Another reason was to hide her dark mark, but Daphne didn't need to know that.

"You look nice," Daphne reassured her cousin. "Now you better get down to the common room. Blaise is probably waiting for you."

Emma checked the time to see that she was, in fact, 5 minutes late to meet Blaise. She surprised herself by not really caring, and spending another few moments checking her reflection in the mirror.

Blaise was, in fact, waiting for Emma in the common room. He looked quite smart in his pure black suit. He was speaking to Draco, and Emma internally groaned at the thought of breaking their conversation.

"Hi Blaise," Emma smiled, ending their conversation. She rolled from her heels to her toes as she waited for Blaise to reply.

"Hey Emma," he breathed. "You look nice." His eyes scanned her figure and Emma ran her fingers through her hair out of awkwardness.

"Thanks," she mumbled. She had expected Draco to make a sly comment, to prove that he did, in fact, still despise her but he didn't utter a single word. He simply stared at her for a few moments before turning and walking away.

Emma watched his retreating blonde head in confusion for a few moments. It wasn't until Blaise cleared his throat that she snapped back into reality.

"Shall we get going?" Blaise offered, nodding his head towards the exit. "We'll be a bit late, but the party won't have properly started yet."

Emma smiled sheepishly as she and Blaise left the common room. Thankfully, Slughorn's office was also in the dungeons, so they didn't have to walk very far in a semi-awkward silence.

Emma was pleasantly surprised when she entered Slughorn's office. She had expected a tiny room with a suffocatingly boring atmosphere, but that wasn't that case at all. The room was decocted in a cozy way, and somehow seemed to be much larger than usual. Some modern-ish music was playing from a speaker somewhere, but the music could barely be heard over the loud chatter of the many party guests.

"I'll get us a drink," Blaise said in Emma's ear, pulling her closer to him by the arm- his fingers dangerously close to her mark. Emma nodded and watched as Blaise disappeared amongst the sea of people.