004. IMPERIO

CHAPTER FOUR.

Emma was starting to think the events that took place during the summer were a fragment of her imagination

Emma was starting to think the events that took place during the summer were a fragment of her imagination. Draco seemed to have completely forgotten about their task to kill Dumbledore and to be completely honest, Emma was panicking. Halloween was approaching, which meant 1/4 of the school year had already passed, and Dumbledore had to be dead by the time June arrived.

Oh boy.

During the night before the first Hogsmede trip of the year, Emma had sent a panic filled letter to Mr Borgin, owner of Borgin and Burke's in Knockturn Alley, during a mini breakdown she was having. In her worried state, Emma accidentally slipped a treat into her letter, so she received a response the next morning.

Mr Borgin had sent Emma a necklace she had seen in the shop during the summer. Along with the heavily package item, Borgin had sent Emma a letter strongly advising her not to touch the necklace, since it was cursed and she could die on the spot.

Now all Emma had to do was give it to Dumbledore. Without Draco's help, of course. She blamed him for not discussing the task we her, that's why she had to do it alone. Not because she couldn't even look at him without picturing what he look like with no shirt on, no way.

Thankfully, the day of the first Hogsmede trip was a cold one, so it was nothing unusual when Emma pulled on her big black jacket; the one with the hidden pocket on the inside. With the package with the cursed necklace pressed against her chest, Emma left the castle with Daphne.

"I had actually never heard of something so stupid," Daphne said as they got passed Flich's dark detector, which Emma avoided expertly. "Antoinette didn't even get the chance to tryout. Why? Because she is a girl."

"Extremely sexist, that is," Emma commented, not entirely listening but she knew she'd have to add to the conversation at some point. "I bet Malfoy had something to do with it."

Emma didn't catch the look Daphne sent her, but the taller girl sighed and continued speaking. "Annie was so upset, and embarrassed. The poor thing."

They continued walking and talking until they reached Hogsmede Village. Without having to discuss it, Emma and Daphne headed straight to the Three Broomsticks.

Emma shivered slightly upon entering, the warm pub contrasting hugely to the cold air outside. The pub was already bustling with people, but the two girls managed to find a table at the side of the room.

"Theodore said he'd meet us here in a bit," Daphne said as they shredded their coats, with Emma keeping hers under her arm. "I'll go get us Butterbeers."

Emma smiled at Daphne's promise-keeping. While she was alone, Emma took in her surroundings. Now how was she supposed to get this necklace to Dumbledore? She wasn't too sure as to why she brought it to Hogsmede, it was rather risky on her behalf. However she managed to do it, Emma had to make sure there were no links back to her. If someone found out she'd tried to curse a member of staff, she'd be expelled before she could say 'Dumbledore'.

"Here we are," Daphne said as she placed two tankards down on the table, spilling them in the process. "Emma," Daphne spoke again, for Emma had zoned out.

"Sorry," Emma exclaimed once she'd been broken from her thoughts. "My mind was elsewhere. Thanks for the butterbeer."

Dalphne eyed her cousin in wonder before sitting down and looking at the door of the pub that seemed to be constantly opening and closing. "Oh, there's Theodore."

Theodore spotted them straight away and sent a smile across the room. He wiped his feet and shook his hair out like a dog; it must have started raining.

"I had to help Draco with something," Theodore said once he joined their table. "Now he's in detention with McGonagall."

Emma rolled her eyes, but managed to fight the urge to tut. Of course, while Emma was taking on the task that would save both their lives, Draco had managed to land himself a detention. That boy really was something special.

"I'll get you a butterbeer," Emma announced randomly. Theodore thanked her as she rose from her seat, her jacket still tucked under her arm.

As Emma approached the bar with her eyes locked on Rosmerta, the pub owner, an idea flashed before her eyes. She could use imperio to get the necklace to Dumbledore...

Imperio. An unforgivable curse. She'd better not get caught.

As she arrived at the bar, Emma threw her jacket on the table and pulled out her wand. She casted the spell on the bartender before her morals could stop her.

Rosemerta's posture seemed to straighten as she approached Emma. Nobody around them seemed to notice, and Emma let out a little sigh of relief.

"Rosemerta," Emma whispered once the lady was in front of her. "I want you to take the package out of this jacket's pocket."

Rosemerta did just that and Emma smiled. This was easier then she thought.

"Now-um- I want you to go into the bathroom and give it to one of the students!" Emma grinned, very pleased with her own quick thinking.

Rosemerta left the bar and returned a few moments later, without the package. Emma's plan seemed to have worked.

"Now go about your day," Emma chirped. "You never knew this happened. Oh and give me a butterbeer. Free of charge."

Emma had a huge smile on her face as she returned to Daphne and Theodore, placing a tankard down in front of the latter. She had just saved her own neck, and Draco's of course.

"Took you a while," Daphne commented.

"Long line," Emma mused.

After they had all finished their drinks, the trio left the pub with the plan to head to Honeydukes next. They had barely made a dent in their journey when a deafening scream ran through the air.

Following the noise with her ears, Emma noticed a girl was suspended in the air. Her dark hair whipped around her face but other than that, she was still. She had gone silent, but her mouth still hung open.

"Should we go help her?" Daphne said, sounding panicked. "That's not normal magic."

"It looks like she was cursed or something," Theodore said and Emma's heart dropped.

Maybe her plan hadn't been so fool-proof after all.

"No!" Emma burst out, grabbing onto her friends arms as they went to go help. "Look, there's Potter and his yellow trio. We're Slytherins. They'll obviously blame us."

Daphne watched with parted lips as Katie fell back down to the earth with a sickening crash. "I guess you're right. Oh and Hagrid's here, I guess she'll be alright."

Emma felt physically sick for the rest of the Hogsmede trip, so much so that she left Daphne and Theodore to go back to the castle early.

She couldn't believe what she had just done. She'd cursed that innocent girl, maybe killed her. Emma's heart drummed in her ears as she muttered the password to the Slytherin House. She wanted nothing more then to hide under her bed covers, maybe she'd suffocate and then she wouldn't feel so guilty.

"What's got you looking so terrified, Cresswell?" Draco asked from his spot on the emerald couches. He was with Vincent Crabbe and Blaise Zabini, but Emma didn't even spare them a look. "Caught a glance of your reflection?"

"Leave me alone Malfoy," Emma replied weakly, racing up the staircase to the girls dormitories.

Draco watched her go, eyebrows raised.