006. DRACO AND THE BROOM CUPBOARD

CHAPTER SIX.

Emma hadn't spoken to Draco in days

Emma hadn't spoken to Draco in days. Usually, she would have loved this, not having to try stop the insults flying from her lips but always failing and blowing up if Draco made fun of her. But now, with a task that needed completed, Emma understood they really did need to start being civil to each other in order for them to live another year.

But after Daphne's little comment, Emma couldn't even look at Draco without getting annoyingly flustered. He seemed to be the same, for he avoided eye contact at all times.

During Transfiguration in the middle of the week, McGonagall was teaching her class about the Avifors Spell. Emma was partnered with Daphne, since Theodore hadn't picked Transfiguration at NEWT level.

"To recap, the Avifors Spell transfigures any item into a bird," McGonagall said, twisting her wand in her hands. "Give it a go, remember to speak clearly and do the correct wand movements."

"What's the wand movements?" Emma asked Daphne as the room filled with murmurs of the incantation.

"A sideways figure of eight," Daphne said quickly, moving her wand in the air. "No offence, but you're not very good at listening."

Emma chuckled to show Daphne she hadn't taken offence. Emma wasn't one of those students had excelled at any subject, she was merely average at her schoolwork. It didn't bother her though, not anymore. After this school year, she'd either be dead or a very respected death eater. She didn't need good Transfiguration skills for either of those options.

Emma placed her quill in front of her, adjusting it until she was happy with its placement. She moved her wand in a figure of eight, muttering Avifors as she did so. She wasn't surprised when nothing happened.

Daphne had already turned two of her quills into silvery birds and Emma pulled her quill closer to her in case Daphne stole it.

"A sideways figure of eight, Emma," Daphne sighed, obviously annoyed. "Are you alright? You seem very... off."

"I'm fine, Daphne," Emma said, retrying the spell. She did the correct wand movements this time, and watched as her quill jumped into the air before falling down again. That was something, right? Birds are meant to fly...

"Listen Emma," Daphne said quietly. "I-"

"Alright class, your attention please," McGonagall called out, her hands held in the air. "Mr Malfoy, Mr Zabini, please pay attention. Your homework is to write a four inch passage on the Avifors spell. You may start now."

Daphne halted in whatever she was going to say and pulled out a piece of parchment. She rummaged through her rucksack for another quill, since McGonagall hadn't shown them how to turn their birds back into a quill. Emma gave a small smirk, actually glad her spell hadn't work.