Chapter 23

As instructed, Ares brought all my furs and helped cloak our two visitors as we transported them to the tent where Ralphie was staying. It wasn't hard as I had Ginger inform Bryant and Diane to assume guard duty over their alpha's lodging. Bryant took it rather well and even acknowledged the guests with a nod. Diane was acquainted with Evie and probably prepped Bryant for this encounter. Aside from a few of us, no one else knew.

I entered into the room first, but stopped mid-way as soon as I laid eyes on Ralphie who was curled up like a ball in his Lycan form. He looked so thin I wouldn't have recognized him if not for his sharp argent fur that made him easy to distinguish amongst the others. My heart ached as I knelt down and laid my head against him. A few seconds passed before I could feel the slightest movement of him inhaling and exhaling. It was weak, much too weak.

"You did well," I said as I stroked his fur the way he liked it. "I'm here now." It was barely a whisper, but I'm sure he heard it. I felt a hand on my shoulder and shifted to make room.

Evelyn tilted her head to examine Ralphie's wounds and showed no signs of struggle when she lifted his arms as if they didn't weigh as heavy as boulders when he was asleep. She exercised careful movements to lay him back in a comfortable position before turning back to look at us with a blank face.

"How much blood do we give him?" Evelyn asked, puzzled at his non-responsive state. Aries went outside to ask Bryant and Diane who both also didn't know. It was passed down that noble blood was the cure, but it wasn't ever confirmed if it worked or how much was needed. After all, it wasn't like we had much records on the previous war much less how to get the cure from enemies.

What if Ralphie needed multiple doses? My eyes widened at the possibilities. I can't endanger Evie or Nero. It will not be a life for a life.

"He will be fine." I turned to Nero who spoke for the first time. Even his voice was alluring like his father and just as comforting. "I promise." He offered me a kind smile, just like the kind child I remembered him to be.

I stepped aside and Evelyn followed as Nero closed his eyes and placed a hand on Ralphie's chest. This child even had healing abilities and to this level...

The room fell deathly silent and remained that way until Diane tiptoed in to check on us when the curiosity was eating away at her. Bryant switched places with Aries and also came in to offer his support.

'Luna, get some rest. We'll watch over our Alpha and you can take over when wakes up.' Bryant communicated in wolf tongue.

"I'm fine." It's been some time and neither Nero nor Ralphie moved at all. Then there was Evelyn who was poking around at the trinkets in the tent and gathering intel on our lifestyle here.

'You must stay healthy. Diane and I will personally ensure our guests' safety. Tomorrow you have to meet with the Alphas. Please get some rest.'

It soothed me to hear that Bryant considered Evie and Nero as his guests. Evie listened in to our conversation though she couldn't have possibly understood, but she picked up the gist when she saw Bryant helping me over to the bed. She swiftly beat him to it and fluffed up a pillow to just the way I liked it. Noting I was in good hands, my pack mates left the four of us alone in the tent and even walked a little further out for our privacy.

I wanted to check on Nero so urged Evie to rest first after offering her Diane's spare clothes. She did as told and fell asleep rather quickly. It must've been exhausting to plan everything and crossing the border and remaining alert the entire time. Such a sweet girl she is.

After placing a blanket on her, I covered Nero with some furs as well before planting myself next to him. I could see Ralphie was gaining back his strength in his breathing. There wasn't a single drop of blood transferred this entire time, but the open wounds and nasty venom-filled bites were pretty much closed up.

When the last injury mended, Ralphie unconsciously shifted back to his human form. That eased a load of worries off my chest.

"I too was wondering how a full grown werewolf looked like. He seems to fit the description quite well even in human form."

So Nero was curious too? I let out a tiny giggle and his expression softened.

"You look much happier nowadays, Mother."

I didn't think I'd be able to hear him call me that again. And from the sound of it, he missed me as dearly as I had him.

"You remember me."

Nero's gaze softened and went on to explain that after he was taken away, he studied day and night under Lord Killua. His memories gradually came back to him as he grew older and stronger. Since, he sought and reunited with Evie and brought her back to the Dietrich manor. He was later summoned to resume his duties as the Pureblood which he had been pushing aside for some time now. The Elders pushed harder when Nero seemed to resist against their plans. However, they backed down upon the request of his father to relieve him of responsibilities for the time being. Fortunately for them, they listened. Otherwise, they were to have their memories wiped by my all too willing child.

"When do you think they'll attack?" I've been curious for awhile and confirmed that Nero had no plans to invade with the rest of the vampire army. That was probably the most comforting thing to hear regarding the inevitable war. I feared the worst scenario would be to have my family of that side pitted against my family here.

"Blood supply this year dropped more than half. They're desperate." I look at Nero, hoping he'd give more pointers but he shook his head. "Military affairs concern Father and the Council. I haven't talked to him about any of it. We don't get along too well."

Nero didn't seem to have rekindled a relationship with his father. That only made my heart ache more knowing that he had no parents growing up. I glanced over at Evie who just woke up from her nap, thankful she was at least by his side.

"We need to go back now. It's not safe for Evelyn here."

I looked at him and nodded. He seems to still dote on her very much and it doesn't seem like she minded in the least bit. She deserves all of it.

We had Bryant swap out the group of patrols and took the opportunity to head back to the border area where they arrived. Diane and Aries thanked them on behalf of our pack and left us to exchange final words.

"Take care the both of you." I pulled them both for another embrace that lasted longer than they're supposed to. I wasn't sure when I'd see them again if ever.

Thank you Moon Goddess for everything. Please continue to bless us all.

Just when we finished waving our goodbyes, Nero turned back.

"Mother, will you come back with us?"

***

:D thx for your continued support!