Chapter 14

"I pledge my allegiance," another group of wolves came forward to say as they lowered their heads in respect.

It's a little uncomfortable to have people I know bow to me, but Ralphie didn't seem to share the same thoughts. In fact, he looked so domineering that even I might lower my head though I'm sitting next to him.

"Alvena, hold your head up high. An Alpha is only as strong as his Luna is," he stated calmly, not breaking composure.

I bring my head back up and see Diane and Bryant walk up this time, both wearing gorgeous smiles.

"Our allegiance is yours," they said in sync. Seeing them definitely made me happy.

"Why are some coming to pledge while others wait by the side?" I ask Ralphie while the next batch forms.

"Even though Five Alphas rule the combined packs, each individual member has the liberty to choose who to follow. Families usually stick together under one Alpha though," my counterpart explained while accepting people under his wing.

I produce a smile at the younglings coming forth.

"Each time there's an inauguration, there is a shift in power between the Alphas. During this time, we can choose which faction to leave and join. Ultimately, they're deciding who's orders to follow if the Alphas don't agree."

"So the ones bowing to us are choosing you to lead them?" I ask, seeing this all in a new light.

"Choosing us to guide them," Ralphie corrected.

When the inauguration finished, each Alpha held their own gathering.

"Woah...there's more of you than I originally anticipated..." Ralphie said, looking at his pack. "Hope you made the right decision cuz I'm gonna work all ya hard."

Howls and claps went around and the after-party started.

Technically, we were supposed to hold a traditional quiet ritual to thank the Moon Goddess for her blessing us with so many warriors, but Ralphie was hungry so opted for a feast celebration to honor her in its place.

Alphas can make up new rules, I've been told. Diane just rolled her eyes and said boys would always be boys.

We had a loud crowd, not surprising considering that most of the new recruits were of the younger generations. Some wanted to follow Ralphie since younger Alphas were usually more easygoing and engaged in more interesting activities like hunting or wrestling. There were of course those who came for the goddess Diane who was practically a package with Ralphie. And others thought it would be cool to be in the same pack as two of the handful of Lycans in the community.

"Luna Alvena," a deep voice addressed to me. "I am at your service."

Turning around, I recognized Bryant. This guy is Ralphie's best friend despite possessing an entirely different personality. He is calm and collected, thinks before he acts, and doesn't let his emotions get the best of him.

The only things he had in common with Ralphie are their large builds and devotion to their pack.

Looking over at where a circle formed, I could see my wolf wrestling around the snow with a few others. Though this was meant to be a respectful ritual honoring the inauguration, he seems to be taking this way too casually. Still, as long as he's enjoying himself, I don't see why there's a need to worry about anything else. If he actually took this more seriously, I would be the one worried.

"Ralphie and I will be counting on you, Bryant."

.........

Since then, Ralphie had been more busy and I as well. Life pretty much worked the same except now, whenever there were problems or disputes, the pack would come looking for either me or their Alpha if they couldn't solve it themselves. Thus, we were pretty much the most informed individuals of everything going on.