Chapter 10

I lose track of how many times I fall to the ground or scrape my hands and knees. I also don't know how much time has passed. It could have been minutes or it could have been hours—I'm not too certain myself. I haven't seen anyone or met anything since then.

Flint stones knock against each other in my pocket and I reach in to steady them. As much as a bit of fire would help, I can't afford the unnecessary attention it may attract. Luckily, I'm not wandering out here feeling completely lost and defenseless.

Over the years, Ralphie has taught me how to best utilize my human senses. Late start on my end, but I've got a good teacher. So the dark doesn't scare me.

What scares me is not finding help for him. I'm scared of leaving him alone and having him wake up in shock or distress when he doesn't see me by his side.

Before I let any more of these thoughts infiltrate my mind, I stumble further ahead. I get excited when I reach the first tent in sight. But as feared, no one was home.

Further and further I walk until I completely lose track of where I even came from.

Eventually, my legs give out and I take a rest at the closest object near me—a tall tree. This is a good sign. I have made some distance since our other neighbors live near the forest areas.

Like Ralphie has taught, I feel around the area before I plant myself down. Except for a bit of dampness, it was safe so I sit down and stare up at the moon.

If the moon goddess is real, is she watching over me right now?

I want to thank her for blessing me with Ralphie. I pray she is watching over him as well.

As if hearing my prayers, the moon shines a little brighter, lighting the area in front of me. The energy in my body suddenly recharges as well.

But just as I slowly get up, I feel something deathly cold beneath my palm and instinctually withdraw my hand.

It isn't the same wet grass I thought I felt earlier. I turn to see a lifeless body next to me and some dark liquid spilling out from underneath it.

"Are...you okay?" my cracked voice breaks the once comfortable silence, but there is no answer. The person still has his back turned to me.

Slowly with caution, I reach out to give him a shake. I didn't expect him to turn so willingly and drop down to face me.

I let out a shriek as I leap up in terror at the horrid sight lying dead still in front of me. I can feel his dilated pupils staring at me, screaming to tell his tragic story and demanding justice.

I don't recognize the man, but my heart aches as I know he is one of us. Although he is not directly part of Ralphie's pack, his clothing belongs to one of the tribes living among us.

When I gather the courage to approach the corpse once more, I get immediate answers. Right at his nape, two puncture wounds stain his otherwise pale skin.

My legs go weak at the sight and I fall backwards as my mind goes numb.

Occasionally there are casualties from the creatures Ralphie warned against, but the cause of death for this victim is certainly not by such means.

These are definitely vampire bites.

Hot tears roll from my eyes as previous fears reawaken themselves.

I thought that they would have abandoned their plan after inactivity for the past few years.

I was naive to think that they'd back off so easily.

The vampires have always wanted a war, but seeing that they would be so bold as to trek thus far into Wolf Territory means one thing.

I scramble up on my feet as I force myself to stop sobbing from shock.

I need to alert the Alphas and the rest of the pack.

We're under attack.

Just as I turn to leave, a chill runs up my spine as a minuscule snap of a branch sounds from behind me.

I knew then, I wasn't alone.

In fact, I was being watched the entire time.

*****

Happy New Year everyone!!! 

Thanks for all your love and support for Beta & Me!