Yes, Of Course

1945

It was late March 1945. Jules was inside the shooting range, finishing his practice along with Mike and John. 

He breathed the conditioned air and stepped out from the room. Mike and John followed.

“You seem really anxious today, dude,” John said. “Anything bothers you?”

Jules shook his head. “Nothing. Just missing home, that’s all.”

At night, Jules kissed Himari on the forehead and jumped noiselessly to his bed. He could not sleep. He kept on thinking about the event that might happen the day after that one. 

The tomorrow came and Jules woke up pretty late. He stampeded his foot on his bed and almost didn’t make it to breakfast. 

John was on the table, eating his almost finished soup beside Mike, Jai, and of course the others. They all smirked and smiled, mocking Jules’ entrance like they just talked about him a minute before.

“You guys are so childish sometimes.”

John ignored that and twined Jules on the neck. “Dude, do you remember last night?”

He only frowned. 

Mike did the talking this time. “John just told us a very fascinating short story. Would you like to hear it?”

“It depends.”

“Okay, John. Tell him what you told us.”

And the others proceeded laughing like kindergarteners. 

“So, Jules,” John started. “I saw you depressingly danced with a doll, and talked with it, and hugged and kissed it every day before light’s out, but last night was just very wild.”

“What did I do?”

“You swayed on the floor with that queer dance position of yours, and your mouth was forming a kissing shape. You also called Himari’s name a few times. But I gotta say, those are some professional moves right there. And also, maybe you can teach us a thing or two about that matter.”

Jules just cringed. He wanted to not believe him but everything was too logical to be bashed. “Shit.”

Everyone laughed harder.

“Did… did Himari see that?”

“I mean, it was dark and she probably slept well. I can’t tell if she’s listening to your romantic mumblings or not.”

“Goddammit! Jesus, I’m so embarrassed.”

But before anyone could react, Axell surprisingly showed up in the cafeteria. Seeing Axell there is like seeing a Penguin in Ethiopia or Madagascar. Of course everyone stared at him when he paced, but he replied with only nodding.

He took a chair and sat next to Jules after ordering for a coffee.

“Axell,” Mike said. “Surprised to see you here.”

“Oh, Mike, I’m not that anti-social.”

“Can I help you?” Jules asked as he was getting annoyed by Axell’s body which was as close as ever to his. He could even sense his stinky veggie breath when the fat director breathed. Jules didn’t like the guy all that much. Not that the guy ever be rude, but his narcissism reminded him of Yamako.

“I have very good news for your escape from this island.”

Everyone leaned in closer. 

He continued. “I received a telegram that the Japanese was pushed back literally everywhere. The Americans are winning. The seas are practically unguarded. It is just a matter of time until the Japanese raised their white flag.”

“But you don’t really have a literal idea on our escape?” Asher was pretty angry.

“Well, at the moment not yet. But according to my resource at Washington, the Americans are going to invade the Philippines and knock back the Japanese there. If they did that, I can charter you all a boat, small enough to avoid detection, and sail you out to the Philippines.”

Jules wanted to bark a cussing word at the stupid director. He literally did not have a frantic piece of unhoaxed information to support his excitement other than a telegram that can be sent by the Japanese themselves.

Then, seeing the faces of the angry Americans, he retreated to his office before his coffee came. Asher drank it afterwards.

“He’s dumber that I thought,” Blake said.

Mike, who’d known the man since his whole life defended him, but inside his heart he actually agreed that the director was stupid.

It was in the afternoon, six P.M. Jules took Himari up the hill. The hill lied just a hundred meters from the cave and was a great view point of the sunset.

When the sky turned orange and the birds started singing, Jules just dropped to the ground by his knee in front of the female. Himari almost jumped to a shock, but as he kneeled, she knew what he was about to do.

Himari could not believe that experience.

Jules reached for his pocket and showed her a circular, copper object that he found the day before when he rummaged around the storage, looking for something useful.

“Himari…”

Himari shrieked. She sealed her mouth with both her hands. She was starting to tremble.

“Will you be my wife?”

Himari tackled the kneeling Jules to the ground and kissed him real tight. “Yes, of course!”