Ten Stabs

1943

The boy had an almost bald head, but his short, black hair blanketed the whole scalp. His brown skin reflected the light of the single lantern. His shirt was stained with someone else’s blood. He wore no shoes. The Japanese probably took them for no reason.

“Kid, are you alright?”

Jules shook the guy’s shoulder several times, harder each time he didn’t respond. He touched the neck for pulse.

At least he’s still alive.

Jules glanced toward the doll sitting on his sleeping plank. She frowned, then pointed its soft hand toward the guy’s mouth. “Give him what he needs!”

“I’m not doing that.”

“Just do it! He needs your help.”

“Alright, alright, don’t yell to me, Av.”

Jules lowered his mouth, took as many air as he could, and gave the poor boy some oxygen. Then, he pumped his chest, blew more air, pumped his chest, blew more air. Everyone else inside the dungeon turned their gazes upon Jules. They had very serious eyes and strong admiration to him.

And seconds passed. Jules thought he could feel the boy’s mouth’s scent forever now. But the guy coughed and everyone in the room sighed. A sight of relief burst into Jules’ heart. His doll clapped its hands and congratulated him for being a savior.

“Incredible job, Jules.”

Jules helped the boy up, leaning him against the iron bars of the cell. 

“What’s your name?” Jules asked.

The guy didn’t answer. He probably didn’t understand English.

“His name is Yudhistira,” said the local guy in John’s cell. He pressed his face to the bars separating Jules and John’s quarters. “I’m Arjanta.”

Jules inspected him. “At least you can talk.”

“Who are you guys?” Hal asked from across the dungeon. 

“We’re the resistance.”

“Which one?” Jai asked.

Arjanta squeaked his mouth, realizing there was a Dutch in the cell. Their looks were distinct to Javanese eyes. They colonized the island for three hundred years and more.

“We call ourselves the Humans Freedom Warriors, well, that’s what we are called in English.”

Blake raised his left brow. “You weirdoes the ones who broadcasted that weird message to all radios?”

“Yeah, that would be us.”

“Well congratulation, you have succeeded in freeing us. Also our friend, Glenn, died because of that stupid speech.”

Arjanta shook his head. “You don’t understand. We are the distraction. We attacked this church merely so the others can free the prison camp four miles from here. More than seventy locals are locked there for no reason, and twelve British soldiers are also tortured there.”

“I’m puzzled,” Jai said. “You guys are locals who want to free everyone under Japanese’s giant foot?”

“That’s right.”

“Including Dutch and Brits and whoever?”

“Yes.”

“With spheres and bamboos?”

“The HFW isn’t a Javanese organization, it’s international. There’re more than just locals. People joined in every day. People who are against oppressive governments followed us. We’re a worldwide resistance movement.”