RECAP

Summary of the book so far for anyone who is confused (not a chapter).

Plot:

When Niall glows with light at a concert he attracts the attention of a powerful and dangerous young man named James Matthews. The One Direction boys learn that they all have superpowers, and spend a month in France learning to use their powers. During that time Niall and James begin a relationship. James kills people after starting to date Niall, but Niall has no idea and thinks James is a nice guy. The boys have finished their training and returned to London. They are wondering what their lives will be like now they have superpowers.

Powers:

Niall – Projection.

Can glow with light in any colour. Can make people around him feel emotions. Has a tendency to glow as well when sharing emotions.

Liam – Energy Shields.

Can make protective shields to defend against bullets, lightning or fire. Can shape his shields into objects like chairs and use them to lift himself or others (ie 'fly' slowly).

Zayn – Telepathy.

Can hear the thoughts of others around him and speak into their minds.

Harry – Telekinesis.

Can move objects with his mind. Including himself and others (he can fly slowly). Can compress air to make a reasonable defensive shield against fire or bullets, but not lightning.

Louis – Fire / 'pyro'.

Can summon and manipulate fire. Is immune to fire. Now wears fire-resistant silver underwear so that when he burns his clothes off he's not naked.

Shared powers:

* Suppression: All the boys can temporarily reduce another's power.

* Self-Healing: They can all heal themselves a little when they get hurt, but they're not very good at it.

* Mind attacks: They can all knock a person out with their minds just by concentrating. Zayn and Niall have practised this much more than the other boys.

* Mental defences: They can all block others from their minds (eg telepaths) or shield themselves from mind attacks, and also block other mental influences such as Niall's emotional projections.

James Matthews

James is the leader of a worldwide organisation allegedly dedicated to helping people with powers. His responsibilities are stated to include making any decisions that would affect everyone with powers, keeping the existence of powers secret from the world, and writing an annual newsletter for people with powers. He also likes making video records of people with powers.

His position as leader of people with superpowers causes some characters to regard him as the most powerful man in the world. Yet his organisation has long suffered from underfunding and incompetent management, so his power is currently quite limited in practice. Things are changing fast though, due to One Direction's large cash donations, and James' hard work.

James is in his 20s, and only recently appointed to his position, and he feels extremely insecure about it. He's a scientist at heart, not a people-person. He thinks of himself as a genius. He is extremely worried about the future. He feels that as a leader and genius he ought to have a grand plan for the future of Earth. He doesn't have a plan, but hopes to come up with one soon.

James believes that powers are a result of genetic engineering by an advanced civilization in the distant past. He hasn't widely shared that view. Other people with powers believe it's evolution or that it's simply magic.

James feels that labels like 'good' and 'evil' are too simplistic to apply to someone of his status. Recently James killed people in a building in America and then blew it up. His motivations for doing so are unclear at this stage in the story. He is a secretive loner. He often compares himself to Hitler, and has seriously thought about taking over the world. Hitler appears to have known of the existence of superpowers, and James thinks of him as his predecessor. People with powers appear to have been heavily involved in World War II.

James is in a relationship with Niall. Niall's in love. James claims to be in love also... it's not obvious whether that is in fact true, though the boys all believe it is.

James hopes the One Direction boys will be useful in assisting him in his work. He wants them to like him, and they do. But he is worried they are too kind and gentle to agree to do the things he wants them to do.

An example of what James might look like is pictured on the right. James has brown hair, blue-grey eyes, is well-muscled, and is generally regarded by other characters as extremely good-looking.

James' power – Teleportation

James can teleport himself or others to a different location. Travelling too far or taking too many people is exhausting. He can teleport bits of things, or teleport things inside other things, or teleport people high into the air. We have seen him use his power to kill people.

James has done a lot of research into the use of powers. He can use teleportation defensively to create a protective shield from bullets. He can sense whether a teleportation destination is occupied, which allows him to sense objects he can't see. He is better than the boys at self-healing (we don't know how good, but given he worries about his own safety, he presumably doesn't think he's immortal). He apparently has some limited telepathic abilities, and so can hear thoughts to some extent, and can apparently encourage people to tell the truth to him or sense when they do.