Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Zayn's point of view

After the first video finished its replay, Louis reached forward and brought the skype window back to the foreground, showing Dr Matthews sitting in front of his computer still, staring off into space, evidently thinking, as he absently tapped a finger against his lips.

None of the boys spoke, their minds still focused on processing the content of both videos, the happiness and the horror they had witnessed. Especially the horror. How could they do that?

Just then Zayn heard voices echoing down the corridor outside the room the boys were in. They were still in the room backstage at the concert venue. Paul's voice became clearer. The door opened and Paul and another man stepped into the room. An older man, perhaps 60 years of age, who Zayn didn't recognize. Is this Dr Matthews' friend maybe?

The man stepped forward smiling. “Hi boys,” he said, “My name is Grant Wells. You can all call me Grant. I'm here to teach Niall to control his glowing. It looks like it's stopped for now, so that's great.” He noticed the laptop screen with Dr Matthews' image on it. “Oh, Hi James! I was just talking to their manager Paul about a cover story. They're going to get their guys on it and think of something. Some sort of spotlight malfunction at the concert perhaps, making Niall look too bright, probably. Once they've got it sorted they'll contact you before going public with their cover story, so you can okay it.” Grant spoke with a London accent. Well he must live in London, given how quickly he was able to get here.

Dr Matthews smiled. “Great, that's awesome Grant. I'll leave you to it. I've got an entire world to run, which apparently doesn't run itself without my constant input.” During that last sentence he turned and glared at something in his office at the other end. Huh? He's got 'an entire world' to run? Who exactly is this guy?

Grant just smiled at the exchange. But then his mouth fell open. Dr Matthews noticed this as he turned back to the screen, and instead of closing the skype call, asked in a worried voice “Grant? What is it?”

Grant stood there for another moment, his mouth gaping, before finally answering. “It's not just Niall. It's all five of them.” All five of us what?

Dr Matthews' mouth fell open. He opened and shut it a few times before finally settling on “That's not possible.” Then he immediately corrected himself, “Okay, well obviously it is possible, but it's not probable. Like ridiculously improbable. Like, more improbable than winning the lottery five times in a row. Okay actually, it might be almost exactly that improbable... I'd have to do the math to check that. But anyway, are you sure? That can't be right Grant? Five at once?”

Grant seemed surprised. Or maybe he's offended, Zayn thought. “James, I know what I sense. I've done this for forty years. Yes. All five.” He seemed upset by Dr Matthews' lack of faith in him. Yes, he's offended.

Dr Matthews seemed to sense that, and said. “Sorry Grant, I'm not questioning your judgement. It's just well... what happens when a person who you know tells only truth says something that can't be true? All five!? Two would be a coincidence. Two would be a huge coincidence. Two would be amazing, the find of the decade. Three would be unheard of. But five? All at once?”

Dr Matthews was now beaming, and looking very excited. He looks like he's just won the lottery, Zayn thought. “Powers?” Dr Matthews asked Grant.

Grant pointed at Liam, “He's got energy shields”. Energy shields? I wonder what that is?

“Energy shields? Cool!” Dr Matthews seemed extremely pleased.