Chapter 21

Chapter 21

James Matthews' point of view

James knocked out the guards with his mind, and then walked into the atrium of the building. He hummed to himself as he waited for the elevator. Using the elevator was slower than he was used to travelling, but necessary when he was unfamiliar with the destination. He eyed the security camera in the corner of the room but didn't bother to disable it. He had already sabotaged the building's security system, so there was no need to destroy individual cameras. The elevator arrived and he stepped in, pressing the button to take him to the top floor.

As the doors dinged shut, he thought of his boyfriend, Niall Horan. Things had gone extremely well. If only all my plans worked that smoothly. James' bank account now contained millions of dollars of the band's money, and it was already proving very, very, useful. Some of that money, spent in the right places, had led him here.

Now I can shelve my plans for gaining money in other ways. James had always been an advocate of funding his organization through any means necessary. When you have superpowers getting money in creative ways is easy. “Oh, there was supposed to be millions in that bank vault? Really? I wonder where it went?” or “The Stock Market did what? How surprising!”

Unfortunately not everyone within the organization shared James' view that the ends justified the means. And if millions of dollars started turning up in the organization's bank accounts without explanation, questions would be asked. Fortunately, thanks to the One Direction boys, all my plans for sneaking 'ill-gotten' money past the accountants can now be shelved. Private donations and a charity are considered moral by those who determine such things.

James was all too aware that not everyone in his organization shared his views on morality. Which is why I'm here alone today.

The elevator dinged again as it reached its destination and the doors opened, revealing a large office, plushly decorated. A man in a suit stood up from his desk, a surprised expression on his face.

James weighed in his mind the pros and cons of interrogating the man first versus killing him now. I really need a telepath for this. Unfortunately, Irene, who managed the telepaths, had a substantially different philosophy to James where morality was concerned. Anyway, the organization's telepaths are doing important work elsewhere. Hopefully Zayn will be amenable to helping me with this sort of thing eventually. The raven-haired boy had demonstrated a habit of trying to pry into people's heads. James had noticed with amusement Zayn trying to probe into his own mind numerous times. Zayn had failed abysmally, of course. James had personally done more research into the use of powers than anyone else alive, and he had trained himself hard. James' own mind-skills were finely honed and he was reasonably competent at telepathy, even though it was not his power. Though unfortunately not good enough to interrogate this guy properly. Most people never developed their powers to anything remotely near their full capacity, out of both ignorance and laziness. James hated ignorance with a passion and was never one to shirk hard work when it had such an obvious pay-off. Zayn might enjoy digging through people's minds to ferret out their secrets. Hopefully once he is trained he can be convinced.

James decided that it was not worth interrogating the man. He began to teleport the man. His target location was the inside of a concrete support pillar of the building. The feeling of resistance in James' mind told him that the teleportation destination was already occupied. If he forced the teleportation to complete then the two objects would be forced to occupy the same space, their molecules fusing together. The man would be killed instantly, before he even knew what was happening. His body would never be found. Unless perhaps an archaeologist in a thousand or a million years time digs up his fossilized body. He might then become world-famous as an unusual fossil.