Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Harry's point of view

The next day, as they sat eating breakfast, Paul got up to make an announcement. “Boys, there's a signing scheduled for tomorrow that I've been having difficulty cancelling. I can get you out of it if I really, really, need to. Though Simon Cowell's probably going to start asking questions if I do. James tells me that you're not up to it, but I thought I'd see what you guys think.” He waited for their response.

“Well obviously Louis can't go.” Harry put in immediately. “And, um, this morning when I woke up, I was hovering a foot in the air above my bed. It would be embarrassing if I levitated a fan by mistake.” Although I could always levitate a dress or two maybe... I wonder if I could make a bra 'accidentally' fall off?

Liam added worriedly, “Yesterday in the shower I was confused as to why I wasn't getting wet. It took me a minute to realize I had a shield over my entire body. But it was right next to my skin and transparent so I couldn't see it and it took me ages to work out what was going on.” So he can do skin-tight shields huh? I wonder how that would work as a contraceptive? Not that I would want Liam around while I did the dirty...

Louis chimed in, “Harry's right! You can't let me near people like this. What if I burn my clothes off again? What if I burn their clothes off!?” If you burned all their clothes off Louis, we'd be in a hall full of naked girls. That would be truly terrible.

Niall gave his two cents with, “The other night I woke up and got dressed because it was light. Then I saw it was 3am. It was light because I was glowing, not because it was morning. We all know what happened last time I was in front of fans. I don't think we want to do that again until I've got full control of the glowing thing.” At least when Niall's power triggers at night he just glows. Whereas when Louis has a 'wet-dream', he sets the bed on fire. Fortunately that had only happened the once. Though clearly from Harry and Niall's experiences, their powers did sometimes trigger at night while they slept and so it was lucky Louis had only burned the bed once. So far.

Zayn just said, “Yeah, Paul. I agree. We can't be around people in our current state.” I wonder what went wrong for him with his power? How can Zayn's power even go wrong? He's a telepath, so he can read people's thoughts and send people thoughts. None of the boys had mentioned receiving any stray thoughts from Zayn other than when his power had misfired the once the day before during training. And caused Louis to illegitimately 'win' our competition! So what is Zayn worried about? He clearly hasn't been broadcasting his thoughts. Wait... does that mean he's been reading people's thoughts unintentionally? Harry quickly raised a mental wall in his mind... and felt it slice through something. What?!

Zayn flinched. “Zayn!” Harry growled.

The boy turned to him. “Sorry Hazza,” he said, seeming sincere. But then he smiled. “Did you know you have a very dirty mind?”

Harry glared daggers at Zayn and created a suppression field to block Zayn's power. The lack of resistance told him that Zayn was no longer using his power. Wait... that gives me an idea. Harry turned back to the others who were mostly looking puzzled at the exchange between Harry and Zayn.

“What if we all suppressed each others' powers?” Harry asked James. “If all us boys and you guys were all suppressing all our powers then even if we unintentionally tried to use our powers, then we couldn't and so they wouldn't pose any danger to the fans.”

James frowned thoughtfully. “Suppressing four people at once is a big challenge Harry. I'm not sure if you guys could do it for any extended length of time.” He rubbed his chin. “But... it doesn't matter if one of you fails every now and then because with each other and us there'd be sufficient back-up there. Actually it would be a really good training exercise. We could make a game of it. Keep track of how many times each of you drops the field, see who wins. Having to actually do the signing at the same time will make for an added distraction. You'll have to try to talk to the fans while maintaining the required concentration at the same time. I think we should do it! It'll be a great exercise for you guys.”