Chapter 8

Writers: Luna (' ω '♡) lausrense  /  Elia <3 aliceongnoon

When Fitz and Linh arrived at the table, Sophie sucked up all her courage and gave him a small smile. To her surprise and relief, he returned it happily, and it seemed genuine, so she shook it off and focused on her breakfast. She could feel someone staring at her, so she looked around and found Linh throwing daggers towards her for...well, whatever reason. 

Sophie felt an unease in her stomach, and Keefe must have felt it too because he wrapped his hand around hers tightly. Not Fitz. Keefe was comforting her, not Fitz. She had to remember that. Even though...even if she still liked him, she would have to remember that he was CHEATING on her. He was with Linh, and she was single...no matter how much it hurt.

But, Keefe cared, and all her other friends. That was enough for now. 

After lunch, Sophie and the others were packing up their things to go back home. Overall, the sleepover was a success. Other than a very dramatic heartbreak, Linh's glaring, and her friends finding out about her matchmaking status, Sophie was happy to come again. Especially if it included cuddling with Kee-

'NO!' Sophie thought. What was she thinking? Keefe was just a friend, nothing more. Although he was adorable, caring, handso-

'STOP IT, SOPHIE!' she scolded herself, imagining a hand slapping her brain for thinking like that. She wasn't ready for another one yet, seeing as she just got used to having a boyfriend and BAM he hits her right smack in the face by cheating on her with Linh. 

Quickly, she said goodbye and thank you to all her friends...except "The People Who Shall Not Be Named" she headed towards Everglen's enormous living hall, the boy she was thinking about appeared from around the corner. His hair styled fabulously, and his clothes were looking messy as usual. But something was off, and she noticed that he wasn't wearing his Sencen crest and the cape his father bought him supposedly for "special occasions" but expected him to wear it every day. She suspected it was solely for annoying Lord Cassius as he took joy in anything that did that. 

"Yo, Foster!" Keefe said as he slung his arm over her shoulders, grinning like a mad man. 

"Hi, Keefe. Good to see you too," she said sarcastically.

"Whatcha talkin' bout' Foster? It's always a pleasure to see me! ....and you too I guess," he said in a teasing tone, poking her in the ribs. 

"Whatever, bye. Say hi to Auntie Ro for me!" Sophie laughed as he took off for the leapmaster 50,000. 

"The Shores of Solace!" he called. A single, pale blue crystal hung lower than the others, producing a beam of light that shone brightly in the dimly lit room. Keefe gave her a small smile as he stepped into the shaft and let the light carry him away.

When he was gone, she took her turn and stepped onto the platform.  

"Havenfield!" she said to the leapmaster. 

A bright, ocean blue path was created, and Sophie took one second to command herself to forget the bad memories created before stepping into the light.