Chapter 7. The Intruder

not edited

It's been a few days and around noon I go outside and train with Kaz, who I learned rarely spoke. We only sparred in our human forms, though it never seemed to bother her. The only time we'd go out and run with our wolves was if she thought we could handle it.

The workouts were two hours, twice a day, or at least that's how it's been for a few days. Not only are they long, but damn, they're exhausting. At the end of each day I find myself wanting to either throw myself into an ice bath or a steaming hot shower.

I never understood how rigorous training was. Sure I'd do conditioning with my old pack, but this was some Olympics type shit. Running 10 miles? Sprinting from pack boundary to pack boundary? This was outrageous. I guess this pack wasn't considered the best for no reason. I still wasn't sure why I was here. Was I an embarrassment? It was possible, I mean, I was kind of a trouble maker. 

I had been sitting here for far too long, staring at the walls in this extravagant bedroom fit for a princess. I had to get out of here. Anywhere but here. I missed my home. I missed my Nat. Even a part of me missed my grandmother's nagging presence. I wanted to be around my friends from school. I wanted to go home. 

Was this being homesick? Because I was really not liking it, despite having it thrust upon me. I didn't care where I was going. I had to run. Had to go. 

With a strange feeling of being suffocated, I lifted myself off the bed and ran down the hall, and down the two flights of stairs.

"Where are you going, Speedy?" Gavin's sing-song voice echoed from above. I looked up, seeing him hover on the staircase with a smirk on his face. 

"Out," I said shortly, hoping he wouldn't pry. He suddenly frowned, staring at me with narrowed eyes.

"The Alpha wouldn't approve of that," He said with nonchalance. I grinned. "I know."

I hesitated for a second longer, keeping eye contact with Gavin. 

"Well jee," He stated, accidentally turning around, "would you look at that, I think I need to use the bathroom."

And he soon dissapeared upstairs. I smiled, thankful he was letting me at least go for a run.

I quickly ran to the double doors, opened them, and let myself outside, feeling a step closer to freedom. My wolf was itching to be set free. I hopped off the porch and dashed into the forest, pumping my arms. I left the clearing, the snow slushing my ankles as I dodged tree branches, white shrubs and fallen trunks. I came to a quick halt, ready to shift.

I looked around, and sniffed the air, assuming no one was around. I quickly shrugged off my leggings, sweatshirt and undergarments, folding them on a rock to keep them from falling into the wet snow.

As soon as possible, I closed my eyes, forcing my bones to slide into new positions. Tiny hairs began to sprout from all the smallest possible pours of my body, and began to grow thicker to fur. I felt my face grow long, and ears elongate from my head. 

Within seconds, I was standing on four ginger paws. I didn't hestitate to take off in a leap.

I dashed through the snow, no direction in mind. When I was in my wolf, I saw the world in a different way. My appreciation for nature and the world around me seemed to grow uncontrollably. It sounds strange, but it's as if I'm apart of the nature, and I'm where I'm supposed to be. Everything just feels so right; so perfect.

I took in account of everything tiny detail around me. The sound of my heavy and powerful paws crunching the white snow beneath me. The way my muscles flexed after each stride of my thick wolfen legs. My breathing, the way my tail followed behind me with ease.