Chapter 2. The Strange Happenings

not edited

"Honestly, get up Carter," Someone scolded. I refused to budge, snuggling deeper into my covers. I heard a light, but firm pat on my shoulder. Grimacing, I forced open one of my eyes.

There sat my grandmother, eyes in snake-like slits, wrinkles lined up underneath her dark emotionless eyes; grey blonde hair in a tight bun, not daring to miss a hair. I gulped.

"As your Luna and your grandmother, I will not tolerate this kind of behavior," She scolded before crossing her arms. What time was it? What time did I get home last night? Wait, last night . . . 

With that last thought my eyes popped open. Oh my God, did she know?! Did someone tell her? My grandmother was the Luna of my pack and was incredibly strict and harsh. Our blood determines us as granddaughter and grandmother, but reality determines us otherwise. 

"Behavior?" I asked, wiping my eyes.

"You coming home at undesired times of the night, if not morning. You're the future Luna, when are you going to start acting like it?" she reprimanded, like usual.

"I don't even want to be the stupid Luna," I grumbled, sitting up in my bed. 

"Don't you even think of making a mockery of my position. When will you stop these childish games, and start acting responsible?" She asked with a deep and helpless sigh. Annoyed, I groaned.

"Never," I said in defiance.

"Clearly. Now get ready, I do not wish to speak of this for the rest of the day. It's already 12 pm, you need to prepare for tonight."

"What's happening tonight?" I asked in confusion.

"Moonclaw's Alpha - Dalton Valerio - had someone sneak into his house last night," As she started those words, goosebumps rose up and down my arms in fear, "and today he's throwing a large get-to-together to announce it and speak of what happened. Though it will be a serious meeting, he's insisted to make it like a party, rather unprofessional if you ask me."

"S-someone broke into his house?" I whispered.

"I'd think one of your foolish friends would've told you by now. Isn't that what you kids do, gossip?" She said with disgust.

"Every day actually," I retorted with an upbeat tone of voice. She huffed.

"Clean up your act or you'll spend the rest of the week in this room without a phone." She demanded. I rolled my eyes at her. She left the room with a sigh.

My grandmother was in charge of me since my parents deaths long ago when I was 9. She was a cold woman who only shared love when it came to her job and position as the Luna. She was a tough and brittle old woman, with a heart made of stone. She's gone all her life without a mate, or at least that's what I've always been told. 

I like to imagine she had a mate once, who possibly broke her heart or ran off or even died. That's why she became a stone cold bitch. But that's just my personal theory.

Last night though, now that was an adventure. I sighed, realizing  it wasn't a dream. I really snuck into his house, and now he's holding a gathering to discuss it! What if he catches me because of my scent? Will he kill me? What will be my punishment?

The sound of my phone ringing to a song by Odesza made me jump. Taking a deep breath to calm my heart, I picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Did you hear the news?" Nat whispered. I whimpered.

"Just now." I couldn't tell her I was scared, afterall, I got myself into this mess and she was the one who tried to get me stop. Maybe she was right, I mean, look at my position now. I never even thought I'd ever have anything else to do with that Alpha.