Chapter 18. Running out of Time

Not edited

"Oh c'mon! I'm so bored!" I hollered at Gavin. He rolled his eyes. Since Nat left, I summoned Gavin to give me something to do.

"Are you trying to kill yourself?" He shouted. I huffed in annoyance. I was being cooped up in here, I needed something to do. Besides death, I should be trying to do other things. 

"I'm not trying to rot in here. If I'm going to die, then why is it that my last moments have to be boring?" I tried. 

"It's only been two days," he said with a scoff. "Yeah, and soon it'll be three, then seven, and then bam, I'll be dead," I challenged. Gavin frowned and leaned back, as if maybe pondering on what to do. 

"Nat will be back after getting settled so just hang tight okay? Dr Han thinks he might have a lead on how to get this crap out of your system," He replied. I tried not to let my hopes soar. "How?"

"How the hell should I know, I'm not a doctor," He grumbled. I rolled my eyes, the notion giving me a small headache. Man, I hated being so fragile. It really makes you appreciate being able to do things on your daily basis.

"We have 5 more days, don't worry alright?" Gavin said with a tender smile. I scoffed at him. 5 more days of being in this hospital bed. My wolf was stirring inside. She needed an out. So did I.

"I'm over it. I just want it to be over," I mumbled, beginning to feel sour. "Me too," Gavin said with a frown.

Dalton's POV**

I examined Natalie as she strode to her room. Her presence didn't do much to help things here, albeit it would hopefully improve Carter's grim look on  things. 

"You two are mates, right?" She asked before stepping into her room. Her icy gaze landed on me, making me freeze. Her distant eyes told me she already knew the answer to her question. I crossed my arms, showing her she did not frighten nor intimidate me. The thought was almost funny. Almost. 

"Correct."

She narrowed her eyes at me, sizing me up. A plethora of things were probably running through her mind. What they were, I may never know.

"What's Carter's favorite color?" She asked.  The question stunned me. Of all things to ask, that's where she headed?

I didn't answer, only hardened my stare. She shook her blonde head of hair before mock smiling.

"Sad isn't it? Her own mate doesn't even know her favorite color. I wonder what else you don't know about her." Her judgmental eyes sized me up. My wolf wanted to put her in her place, but I knew if I did, I'd have to repercussions to serve.

I let out a warning growl. I didn't need to be chastised by this wolf who didn't even come from my pack. I wanted to snarl, pin her down and bare my teeth to show who was the alpha around here. 

"You will never be able to understand," I warned her, taking a closer step into the hallway. She didn't falter like how I'd expected her to. What game was she playing at? She came off as skittish and naive before just now.

"I understand a lot more than you could ever imagine, Mr. Valerio."

And with that, she turned her back and slammed her door. The sound rocketed through the walls and into my eardrums. I held myself back from going in there and proving to her just where she stood in my pack. It took all I had not to. 

No one usually dared to even cross me, some could barely even look me in the eyes and ask me a question, and yet since Carter's appearance in my pack, everything was slowly changing. Would it be for better or for worse?

I took a deep breath, keeping my calm, and walked away from the hall and into my office. I closed the door behind me, putting the outside world on pause for a second. I let out a breath, as though I'd been holding it in for years. Unknowingly, I stalked towards my book case across from my desk, and looked for a book with a black matte spine.

At seeing it, my hand reached for it but paused. I took another deep breath and felt the cold paper under my finger pads. I grabbed the book and pulled it away from the others. Red Lips. I was about open the pages, but stopped and shook my head before putting it back where it belonged 

I leaned against the book case and closed my eyes for a time.  I had to focus on freeing Carter of this fatal virus she had thrusted upon her by my cousin Vince. I sat down at my desk and pulled out my small Macbook, and began to furiously type. Any information could be important.

30 minutes in,and I had discovered very little. There was a website known only by my pack that our computer wiz, Treyvon, had created, answering all questions the werewolf community might ask. All I had learned was that the virus in her was called Aluminus, and of course, that it ate away at your insides to feed itself until eventually, when there was no more to feed, on, it fed on itself long after the body had died and became a corpse. I hadn't found any source of cures, for everyone who had this inflicted upon them had died in a short week or two. I wasn't about to add Carter to that list.

I reached for my phone and rang Dr. Han.

"Hello?"

"Dr Han, it's Alpha Dalton," I said.

"Oh, hello Alpha. May I help you with something?"

"Yes, I'm trying to find out more about Carter's condition, and I even searched some things on the internet site that Treyvon created. I've found out a few things but I would like to see where you're at with everything."

"Oh! You've read about Aluminus?" He seemed shocked. 

"Well, so far, I've read up as much as I can, and have not been able to find anything, I'm afraid. I was going to do some more tests on Carter in the evening. Would you like to come?"

"I'll be there. All the cases I've read about conclude that after a week or two, the patient usually dies," I said, mostly to myself, gritting my teeth.

"Yes, that is accurate," He replied.

"Well, let's hope its streak doesn't last on its next case."

SORRY IT WAS SO SHORT AND THAT I'VE BEEN GONE I HAVE HUGE WRITER'S BLOCK AND I'M SO SO SORRY, ILOVE YOU ALL AND I HOPE THAT NONE OF YOU HATE ME FOREVER AND START TO DROP THIS BOOK PLEASE DON'T AND I'M SO SOSOSOSOSOS SORRY PLEASE DON'T HATE ME I KNOW IT WAS SHORT!!!

PLEASE COMMENT

PLEASE VOTE

AGAIN I'M SO SO SORRY, THE NEXT COUPLE CHAPTERS WILL BE MORE INTERESTING I PROMISE