Gone with the wind

Conan-

The alarm I set on my phone three hours ago rings shrilly by my side, I haven't slept since I set it and I know Jenna, still curled up in a ball by my side, hasn't either. I run my hand through her thickly curled hair and push it back, away from her face so I can gently kiss her temple.

"It's the morning sweetheart, time to go" She stirs beneath my hands and moans softly, her body rocking backwards so she’s splayed out in front of me.

She looks like someone drained the life out of her or maybe ripped her soul out. She's lifeless, her red bruised eyes staring blankly at the ceiling and her thin dainty body motionless accept a slight tremor in her left hand. I close my eyes, and try to imagine how she looked on the night of her birthday, rosy cheeked, innocent, trusting and so very beautiful. When I open my eyes that girl is gone and all that seems to be left is her empty shell.

I scoop her up my arms, abandoning the blanket as I carry her downstairs and ease my way past the build-up of presents and shopping bags in the hallway. Jenna stares at them with wide eyes and I silently curse myself for not removing them.

I head stealthily for the car and ease Jenna into the passenger seat, my phone buzzing noisily in my pocket.

"Conan" I say roughly.

"It's Jason, we have Sylas's place covered but there's been no sign of movement, I don't think the guys home"

"Okay, I'll be back shortly, keep on the lookout. I don't want him slipping through our fingers" I put the phone down and slide into the car, flicking the heaters on and reversing out of the drive fast enough to make Jenna’s eyes expand a fraction.

I dial Josephine’s number, keeping my eyes on the road as it rings, my hands clenching and unclenching around the wheel.

"I wondered when you'd ring" She answers, her weathered voice grave.

"You know" It's not a question and I can almost hear her shaking her head in dismay.

"Yes, I placed a few subtle spells on the child that would protect her, when they were broken I knew he had found her" She sighs in regret. "I should have made them more complex, more powerful; it would have given you more time.

"It's done now, I just need to know how to find her and kill the bastard before he kills her" Beside me Jenna takes an audible breath in and I know I have to be careful about what I say around her. At least for the mean time.

"I'd need something of his, something that is important to him or something of his body, hair, nails, skin without it I’m no closer to finding him than you are"

"I'll find something" I promise, tucking the phone in my pocket and glancing wairily at Jenna still curled in her seat, her eyes trailing across the countryside listlessly.

When I ease the car into the driveway I can see both Theo and Jason waiting for me. Waiting solomly in the cold on what should have been a day off rest for them. I know when this over, good or bad, I'll have to re pay them.

"I'll be back soon, just wait in the car" I tell Jen, my thumb running gently across her cheek as I push the car door open and step out into the bitter cold air.

"How is she?" Theo asks, his eyes running over Jenna still huddled tightly in the car.

"Not good, she's barely moved since I found her" I almost glance back but restrain, I know if I do, I'll want to stay with her and look after her.

"I can take her to Carla's, she's been missing Jenna like crazy and her grandmother is good with these kind of things, she can help" Jason offers sincerely.