The pack- part 1

My eyes roamed over a sea of bare flesh, their body’s slick with sweat as they stood heads bowed in perfect harmony inside the confines of the barn. It was a jaw dropping site to behold and while I could appreciate the beauty of every sculptured torso and ample chest I didn't feel my cheeks heat as they normally would or my body flush. I just felt the same agitated butterflies circle around my stomach in anticipation as I realised the role I would have to play in these people's lives. 

I took a deep breath and looked around the barn; it was magnificent on the inside, glossy oak wood and a sky scraper high ceiling. The ceiling arched and was supported by thick beams running from side to side, the huge structure resting in the balance of two thick pillars of wood.

"Who are they?" Rowan whispered in my ear, her head buried deep in my neck after taking a quick glance around. I shushed her quietly.

Conan led us through the room, the pack separating before us until we reached the raised platform at the far end. It was a nerve wracking walk and more than once I considered shifting and making a run for it.  The smell of musk and wood and skin filled my nostrils. It was almost too much, too many, too soon.

I cautiously followed Conan up the steps and gaped at the sheer number of people gathered. I had never seen so many in one place at one time. It looked spectacular, daunting, awe inspiring and shit scary all at the same time. Conan pulled me close, gently tapping my mouth shut and placing my body before his until his tall frame rested behind mine in a possessive manner. I squirmed, only slightly, so that my body was closest to the stage exit.

"Welcome!" Conan's voiced bellowed throughout the room thumping against the walls and rebounding until it echoed ominously. Row by row each person raised their head and looked directly at me and the small child in my arms. I burnt with embarrassment, my eyes threatening to shed a tear or two in shear shock, I wanted nothing more than too dive behind Conan and seek cover from their gaze.

"I have gathered you here tonight in order to shed light on the rumours" I glanced up in scarcely concealed shock as Conan grinned lazily. I noticed some of the pack members shift eagerly, some tinted faintly red while others looked on with knowing smiles.

"I have indeed found my mate" He looped his arm around my waist and gently tugged until he pulled me against him tighter. I was grateful for his support, my legs felt like jelly, especially when the whole pack erupted in a ferocious cheer which didn't sound wholly human.

He waited for the sound to filter and quiet before speaking again.

"As my mate she will be treated with respect and have power equel to my second in command" He demanded. Silenced followed and only the shuffle of people bowing in respect was heard.

"No one will question this authority" I noticed the double timbre in his voice and watched the ripple of his command slither across the barn. It was something I had never witnessed before and had no desire to witness again. The sheer control Conan had on these people was phenomenal.

"Alpha" The voice was gruff and sounded as if it had come from a parched throat somewhere in the second row.

Conan glanced toward the row and smiled, it was just a small twitch of the lips but mostly it was spoken from his eyes. A barrel began strolling through the crowds, his tankish body moving through the people with practiced ease.

"When do we get to meet your lovely mate?" He glanced at me and smiled. It was an old smile, one that was well used and comforting.

I squeaked in surprise when Conan’s hands gripped my waist and lifted me from the ground only to walk a couple of feet forward and place me just below the stage until I stood face level with the pack. A second later he'd jumped down beside me and was busily saying a long hello with the elderly man. I shifted uncomfortably, my body edging closer and closer to Conan's until I unintentionally bumped against him.