Chapter 5

When I'd woken that first morning burrowed in a pile of furs I'd thought he would be there. He wasn't. I felt sick to my stomach remembering what we'd done. I break rules, often, but this... Have I set in motion Grandmother's vision? I was tormented. At the same time I felt thrilled. The confusion was nearly unbearable.

Outside of the cave I saw his tracks leading him back to his pack. Pride kept me from returning home. Fear kept me from Marcus.

~~~

After two days alone, sleeping in the cave and hunting what I could with a spear I'd carved with my knife, I made my way to the cottage. I didn't want to see my family but I did need my pack and bow. Pride really was the worst of me.

Far from the cottage I waited, watching, hidden in the hollow of a fallen tree. It was comfortable enough; soft moss had taken over making a bright green bed for me to lie in. I passed the time listening to the Earth. She had so much to say today. An array of colored birds fought over the rights to a branch; I had to bite my lip not to laugh at their squabbling. I knew that not ten paces from me a fox lapped the water from a rut in the ground. I was jealous of them. Why couldn't I make my own path? I should. I know Mama can't stop me if I decide to never come home, but... Papa wouldn't have wanted me to abandon my family.

Family.

What about Marcus?

My chest tightened at the thought of him. I chastised myself. It was foolish to yearn for him. He had to pick a mate. Pack mate. Why had he ruined everything? More often than not I thought of that. We were so good together before he told me of his feelings. Now, my thoughts and feelings for him are muddled. I focused back on the forest willing the confusion away.

Darkness took over the woods faster than under the open sky. When I saw Mama go inside, shutting her and Grandmother in for the night I crept slowly from my hideaway. My knees ached and popped from being cramped.

I felt like an outsider creeping up on the cottage; but grateful Mama always closed the shutters over the windows. I leapt onto the porch careful not to make a sound. Putting my hand to the wood I felt for footsteps. Hearing no voices and no one approaching I moved closer to the door. There tucked between the wall and a chair was my pack and bow. I wondered which of the two women had left them there for me.I gathered my belonging and ran to the safety of the trees.

I had nowhere I needed to be, I was simply walking. I contemplated returning to the cave then made up my mind when a chorus of howls broke the night air. Through the fragmented treetops I realized my mistake. The Moon looked down on me; even half way up the sky she was swollen and bright. How had I forgotten? Marcus wouldn't want me wandering on a full moon night. Sighing, I changed direction toward the cave I was beginning to think could be my home.

The sound of the earth being trampled surprised me; I barely had enough time to move when the stag ran past. I dove behind a tree then watched as more from the herd ran where I'd come from. My heart beat erratically until I got it under control. I knew what was hunting tonight.

I hoped I was wrong but I took better cover anyway. Several members from one of the hunting parties ran past me. They seemed young, perhaps trying to impress the elders with a big kill. To their left came another wolf, it was moving slower then stopped all together. It sniffed the air then looked directly at me. I hunkered down lower as it stepped into a moonbeam, Marcus. He glared at me then jerked his head in the direction of the cottage. I understood the message. I was to go home. He pretended to ignore me as another wolf approached then led it away from me.