Chapter 3

By the time I made it home the stones in my throat seemed to dissolve and breathing came easier. Still my anger remained. So much so that the gray wolf avoided me as I crossed her path. Even that didn't still me. Grandmother eyed me suspiciously as I walked into the cottage, and tossed my pack on the beaten oak table.

"Antonia." Her voice was sharp and her eyes darted to the west window where we could see Mama outside. "You were out all night?"

It was no use lying to her; she could find the truth no matter what. "Yes."

"You know how your mother feels about that."

"Do I? She never tells me. She barely acknowledges me." My jaw set in a hard line. "She wouldn't notice if I didn't come back. I wish it had been her that the mountain took!" My anger spurred on my words; words that I would never have spoken otherwise. I hadn't even realized I'd felt that way until then. I knew the truth behind them and so did Grandmother.

She slapped me. The sound of flesh against flesh seemed to echo through my mind bringing me some clarity through my anger. It wasn't fair for me to take my anger out on her or Mama but that didn't change my mood.

"Do you think you're the only one who misses him?" Grandmother spoke with strength I hadn't heard in years. "We all miss him; we all loved your father. My son!" She took a deep breath before continuing. "Your mother may not show it but she loves you just as much as she did before his death. She worries about you."

I knew this wasn't just about my absence or my lashing out, Grandmother had something important to say. I looked out the window at the frail woman; just a shell of what she once was. Her vibrant love of life was no longer there. Was she even in there anymore, or just a body whose heart is still beating? I turned my attention back to Grandmother. "What have your visions been telling you?" I thought of the fight with Marcus, did she know?

"If you think I spend my time watching your every move..." She sighed. "I trust you Antonia."She shakily sat down, no longer strong and fearless but old and weak. "I only fear you may be unprepared for your future."

"Unprepared?" I straightened my spine and stared directly at her. "Papa taught me well, I'm a better hunter than even he was. And Mama, she, I can take care of us."

"I have no qualms of your abilities."

I looked into her cloudy eyes. "Then what is it?"

Her lips set in a firm line before speaking. "Could you kill any of the wolves?"

My stomach rolled and bile rose to the back of my throat. "What talk is this?" I couldn't look from her blank expression.

"Survival."

"You mean betrayal." My thoughts were of Marcus. It was more than betrayal to think of harming him even if I was angry with him.

"This is what I was afraid of. You're a witch Antonia. Don't forget it." She reached out to me but I pulled away. "It will come down to them or you."

"You've seen this?" The future was always changing but if Grandmother was telling me then this one must be certain.

She nodded.

"When?" I was afraid to ask but I had to know.

"Soon."

Grandmother's answer sent a cold streak through me. I backed up no longer in control of my body. My legs felt like stones, heavy and useless in what I had to do now. My back hit the door frame jolting my body back to my control. I turned ready to run.

"What are you doing?" She shakily stood.

I looked over my shoulder. "I have to go see Marcus."

"Antonia I'm not done with you!"

"I have to see him. I need to speak with him!"

"Please Antonia, if you don't want to harm them then do not go to one of them."

"He's one of us too." I growled.

She sighed. "I'm trying to warn you, this can be avoided."

"How?" I turned to look at her.

Her cloudy eyes gazed into mine. I could see her vision in them. I was surrounded in the dark by pairs of golden eyes. Streaks of fur passed by me, each taking a bite with every pass. I looked away before I saw anymore. "It's a mistake."

"I don't make mistakes child."

c