Chapter 13

The day had worn on, hot and thick after we left the stream. Grandmother's staff dug into the soft earth as we searched for the herbs to restock the diminished supplies we had. Even with her cloudy eyes she could spot our bounty at greater distances than I. I gave this to the distraction in my mind; a distraction that was coming straight toward me.

"Antonia!" He called.

"Marcus." I beamed as he scooped me up into his arms; all dark thoughts forgotten with the press of his lips.

He nuzzled my neck. "I've missed you."

"It hasn't even been one day."

"I miss you even when you're gone only a moment." He set me back down.

"Is that so?'

"It is."

"Antonia." Grandmother beckoned.

"Yes?" I walked toward her.

Her lips twitched as she looked over my shoulder then back to me."Go on. I know you want to. Just be home tonight. I've more I want to discuss with you."

I embraced her in a hug. "Thank you, Grandmother."

"Be careful." She cautioned.

It could have just been a simple reminder but I found myself looking for deeper meaning in most everything she said. At times I wished she was not a Seer; that we could have easy conversation instead of the nagging need to speak of what is to come. "I always am." I assured her before returning to Marcus' side.

"What have you been doing?" He asked as he pulled my single braid over my shoulder, running his finger down the plait. It felt strange to have my hair so.

"Talking."

"What of?" He clasped my hand, tugging until I followed.

"Traditions, mostly." I thought of Nathanial as we walked. Wondered what game he was playing and what the rules were; if there were any rules. We stopped on an overhang, the rock jutting out from the earth, pushing away from the trees. From here we could see over the tops of the southern forest; the land sloping downward sharply then leveling out to gentle rolls once again. Like the ripples in water only these never move. The village too far to see, but now a constant thought, nestled where the forest ended.

Marcus' breath moved across my face. His lips brushed my jaw then the top of my shoulder. His lips claimed mine, his tongue invading me, tasting me. His teeth held my bottom lip and I thought of how easy it would be to break the skin. Change me now. I grasped his shoulders, bit his lip, change me now. My nails dug into his skin, causing him to release a growl, and hold me tighter. Change me, change me. I trust you.

He held his body over mine. When did we lie down? His hand traveled over my knee, up my thigh, while mine explored the contours of his back. His tongue trailed fire between my breasts; igniting my whole body. "Change me." I hadn't meant to say it aloud but it was too late. Marcus stiffened. I opened my eyes and for a brief moment, I saw Nathanial looking at me. I blinked and Marcus returned.

"Is that what you think about when I'm kissing you?" His voice was rough, his lips swollen. He rolled away from me.

"I want to be your equal."

He stood up and walked toward the very edge of the jutting rock. "You already are."

"I need to tell you something." I stood but didn't move toward him.

"Anything, Antonia, you know you can tell me anything."

"But I can't." My breath hitched. "You didn't want to hear it before and won't now. You'll hate me but you have to know."

Marcus whipped around; hurt in his eyes. "Why would you say that?"

"I won't lie. I won't try to fix it on my own like before."

He took my hand. "Just tell me."

I looked toward the blue sky that stretches over us then back to Marcus' golden eyes, as bright as the sun above.

"Do I need to kiss you senseless?" He raised an eyebrow but I couldn't laugh.

"Nathanial knows."

His smile disappeared, his brow furrowed then smoothed out. "I'll talk to him. Make him understand."

"I have to kill him."

"What?"

"I have to do it before he kills me or you."

"I'll make him understand." He pleaded.

"He tried to kill me, Marcus. I gave him the scar that mars his face!" His eyes darkened, his brows knitted together. I wanted to reach out and smooth the lines from his face, tell him it was going to be okay. But I couldn't say that. "He tried to kill me five summers before. I barely got away."

"The animals?" He barely whispered, but I heard and understood.

"Yes."

He sank down, letting his legs dangle over the edge of the rock. "I'm so sorry. I knew...I just, I didn't want to believe. I couldn't let myself." I sat down next to him. "This morning," he looked at me. "He just kept smiling at me."

I looked toward the trees behind us. "Do you think he followed you?"

"No. He was...occupied. That's when I left." His eyes bore into mine. "You and your family have to leave. Tonight."

"I won't leave without you."

"Yes you will."

"No." I said between clenched teeth.

"Yes." His body covered mine once again. His kiss saying everything and more; I love you. I need you. I'm sorry. I'll miss you. I knew as if he'd said the words aloud.

My hands move down his chest, then lower finding the ties of his trousers. I felt the tightening within me, the urge to feel his skin against mine. The leather slid over his hips at the same moment he undid the lacing between my breasts. His hands caressed every exposed bit of skin.

"Do you realize how difficult it was to look at you naked and not do this?" He kissed my breasts then trailed down my stomach, nipping just above my hip.

"I hadn't thought about it."

"Of course not," he roughly pulled my skirt down then kissed his way back to my lips. "Antonia?"

"Hmm?" I brushed the hair from his face.

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

I raised my hips to meet his and laughed when he sucked in air. "I am." I truly am. I don't care what the consequences are, if any. Right now is all that matters; not my family, not Nathanial, not the pack. Marcus, Marcus matters. He slides into me slowly, his eyes moving over my body and face, the line of worry between his eyes is back. I smooth it over with my thumb, licking the sweat off.

"I love you." More than any person, more than the forest, more than the rivers. You're my home.