Chapter 2

I awoke before the sun, the fire had gone out and without a hide to cover me the cold had become too much. My gaze fell upon the meadow where a deer and her two fauns were eating the blossoming clover. They weren't even startled when Marcus groaned and stretched beside me.

"Is something wrong, Aira?"

I smiled at him, "No, just cold."

He crawled over were the fire had gone out; and coaxed it back to life. It wasn't much but he placed a few larger twigs beneath. Crawling back to where he'd slept he tugged on my arm. "Come here." He half yawned. Just like when we were children Marcus kept me warm when I got too cold. He wrapped his arm over me and pulled me close to him.

"Thank you."

He mumbled "You're welcome. Now go back to sleep."

It was nice even though I knew it couldn't last long. I'd have to go home, if I didn't Grandmother would chastise me for worrying Mama. Still, I managed to fall back to sleep. When I awoke a second time the sun was just coming over the ridges of the mountains to the east. I couldn't have been asleep for long but the little bit of extra rest felt great. Marcus was still asleep as he probably would be for hours.

Looking at him now I noticed how he'd changed. Mama was right, he had grown. He was no longer scrappy but filled out and defined. Taller too, he was pleasing to look at; how had I not noticed until now? Silly to think about; I'd changed as well, of course he would. We weren't children anymore. My thoughts trailed to the day before. Marcus would choose a mate this summer. I shouldn't feel sad. I'd known it would happen. Everything will be different.

Maybe it was my staring or maybe he was just fully rested but Marcus' golden eyes opened into slits."Aira."

I felt the heat rush to my cheeks. I'd been caught. "Marcus." I concentrated on my heart willing it to slow, knowing that he could hear the frantic beat.

"What are you doing?"

"Thinking about breakfast." I lied. I avoided his eyes but looked over his bronzed skin. When I dared look at his face again he was grinning. The playful look made a smile spread across my own lips. "What?"

"Liar." He pushed himself up, leaning on one elbow.

I leaned my face close to his. I could feel his warm breath stretch across the distance tingling my skin. The sensation caused gooseflesh to rise across my arms and legs. "I should be heading home now."

He leaned closer almost touching, "Let me at least get that breakfast you were thinking about." He playfully teased.

"I can't be long."

"I know." He grunted as he jumped up.

Of course he did. He knew me better than anyone could, maybe even better than I knew myself.

We walked a short distance into the forest. Following the birds to where the best morsels would be.

We found a berry bush, a pink blush covered half the fruit. I closed my eyes and concentrated, pulling energy from the earth, as my hand warmed the sound around me hushed. Then I felt the familiar sensation. Like a string was being pulled from the tips of each of my fingers. I opened my eyes to see the fruit change to a deep purple almost black. I picked off a handful then sat down on the soft moss and pine needle below a tree.

"Do you remember when we would spend all day together and no one cared?" I bit my lip, thinking of our first summer together. He wasn't looking at me but I knew he smiled, he snorted, his head bobbed at the action. His strange way of laughing without laughing; I knew it all too well.

"You remember things the way you want them." Marcus said.

"What do you mean?"

"Someone always cared."

Marcus was right. Even as young as we were his pack hadn't wanted us to be friends. My own family was less than willing to let me but I persisted. Still they were my best memories. "I miss those days."

"As do I." He sat down next to me, his hands cupped together to keep from dropping his breakfast. "You never did like rules, even then." He gave me a sideways glance.

I licked the dark juice that dripped down my hand. The sweetness rolled over my tongue. "As I recall, you still don't follow the rules any better." I threw one of the black fruits at him. It hit him just above the ear then bounced off to roll across the ground.

"Aira." His golden eyes turned on me.

I tried to stare back at him but my lips twitched until I couldn't hold in the laughter. Marcus took the opportunity to pretend to ignore me until I quieted. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

He blew out a breath. "I was serious about leaving, I-."

My mood was instantly soured. I couldn't believe he was talking about this again. I interrupted his sentence. "But this is home."

He looked at me not speaking as he tucked one of my braids behind my ear. "We can make a new home."

"Marcus that's mad."

He jumped up, the handful of berries spilling to the ground. "Why?" He slammed his palm into the hard bark of the tree. The tree shuddered and the birds flew out going in all different directions.

I was speechless. I'd never seen Marcus so angry before. I didn't understand why either.

"Things have been changing between us for years! But I don't want to lose you." His anger was diffusing. He sat down next to me, his wavy hair was wild and his golden eyes searched mine.

"You won't lose me." I said. "We'll always be friends. You're my brother."

He winced at my words. "No. I can't do it." He sat on his haunches now.

"Can't do what?" I put my hand on his shoulder to pull him toward me but he wouldn't budge.

He looked back into the forest silent for several heartbeats. "Forget I said anything."

"No please, I'm sorry." I moved in front of him, forcing him to look at me. "I won't interrupt, I promise."

Marcus turned to me, his wolf stare held me like a deer. I could see the indecision as he battled whether to talk to me or not. Finally he spoke, so softly I would not have heard him had I not being so engrossed. "I choose you. I thought I could find a way around it, to live without making that choice, but there is no way. A male in his eighteenth summer must choose."

At first I didn't understand. Choose me for what? He waited as I worked out the meaning behind his words. Marcus wanted to run away because he didn't want to choose a mate. Yet, he'd chosen me. That was against the law of both the wolves and the witches. "Marcus..."

"I know you feel the same."

"What?" Suddenly I felt hot, as if the air I took with each breath was embers; burning down my throat setting my insides on fire. He was too close. I stood quickly but that made my head spin. I pushed him away when he reached out to steady me but he was stronger.

"Don't be like this." He hands clasped my arm holding me in place, forcing me to look at him. His eyes were challenging me. "Tell me I'm wrong."

I couldn't look at him anymore. Was he right? I bit my lip until the bitter sweet taste of blood was on my tongue. I've always thought of him as a brother but... I couldn't deny that my body responded to his. I was excited when I'd see him but not as a child seeing her playmate anymore. It was all nonsense. A wolf and a witch can't be mated! They just can't. His pack would never allow it and my family would never even consider it. It was a law that could not be broken. "You're wrong."

He released me then turned his back to me. "You should get home Antonia."

More than ever, I wanted to be a child again. "Marcus, please." I moved toward him.

"Don't, I've been a fool to think..." He didn't finish his sentence instead he shifted into his wolf form, and ran towards the east.

How dare he? This wasn't a joke, if any had heard him or even suspected his thoughts he'd be punished. How could he risk that?