Chapter 7

I'd put off my journey to the cottage as long as I could. Morning had passed and the skies all though clear overhead, lay wait to the dark clouds in the distance. I went back inside grabbing my pack. It was bulging, filled with roots, berries, dried meat, and the like. I had the sense I wouldn't be returning to my safe haven for some time and hated to leave what I'd worked for behind.

~~~

Grandmother stopped her weaving and smiled as I stepped from the trees. "It's good to have you home."

"Hello Grandmother." I felt the rekindling of anger as I thought of her vision that I now didn't trust in. "Where's Mama?"

"She's inside."

I nodded and turned to go but she grabbed my wrist. "I never meant to upset you."

"You should have known you would." I replied. I could see tears beginning to form in her old eyes.

Her grip loosened. "I can't control the future I can only warn others. The future is always shifting, never set, but fluid with many paths. Sometimes numerous outcomes all lead to the same end. I'm afraid for you Antonia. There are dangerous paths ahead for you."

"Do you still see the Pack passing judgment on me?"

"Yes."

"Where is Marcus?"

A tear slid down her cheek. "I don't see him."

My heart constricted. "He's not there?"

~~~

Stepping inside I had to let my eyes adjust to the dimness before I could see Mama. The air was pungent; the sharp taste of spice was at the back of my throat. I coughed finding mild relief. Bundles hung from the beams over my head no doubt the source of the smell. Her back was turned, the familiar sound of the grinding mortar quieted.

She turned to me before I could speak, "Have you changed your mind already?"

"No, I need to speak on another matter."

She turned back to her work. "Tell me what brings you home."

I told her what was troubling me; the sickness I'd felt and the inability to control the flow of my magic. As I told her, her hands stilled but she never turned to me. When I was finished she remained unmoving then with great force went back to grinding. Still she said nothing as she poured the mush into a bowl and gathered a strip of linen.

From the doorway I watched as she went to Grandmother, applied the poultice to her eyes then secured it with a cloth. When she returned she said. "I've never heard of this happening except to a child."

"So it's nothing?"

"I didn't say that." Her brow furrowed. "I think it would be wise to find out what your subconscious holds."

I fought the urge to squirm. It was hard enough knowing that my life could be looked upon by Seers at their will. Letting my family into my mind could have serious repercussions.

Mama didn't notice my hesitation. She was immune to those around her, her focus only on the task at hand then the next. "I'll need for you to gather me ingredients." She pulled sealed bowls from a shelf, opening a few and shaking them around before speaking. "Find milfoil, collect the young flowers, I need the red tops of clover, and lastly danewort I need the flowers of the tree."