Doubts and Loyalty

Haku pretended yet again to be asleep when Yubaba came into the room

Haku pretended yet again to be asleep when Yubaba came into the room. He preferred not to talk to her now, he felt far too feeble to bother needling her and she seemed happy to leave food for him and let him rest. Only once a week did she check him over and comment on his general health. He was sure she knew that he was getting rid of his food somehow; perhaps that was why she did not bother to stand over him and make sure he ate anymore. It was obviously doing no good. He did not need to growl and snap at her anymore either. He had better things to think about, like his impending fatherhood.

There was no denying that the news Chihiro had been hiding from him had been earth-shattering. He had not been prepared for it at all. First, he was terrified, how could he possibly be a father already? He had hardly had any time with his mate; he had planned on children at some point, but in a few years at least! He was a bonded spirit, he had never really had any family ties; he had no idea how to be a father! He did not even know if he had been fathered or if his mother had just decided she needed to have a child. A partner was not strictly necessary for a bonded spirit female to conceive, but more often than not a male was involved. He had grown up alone; he had neither needed nor wanted family.

That was until he met Chihiro; she had changed him. He could think of nothing more wonderful than having their children filling his home, swimming in his river, building sandcastles on the beach and generally getting into mischief. He had wanted all those things, but not expected them quite so soon. He had been shocked; shocked and angry at Chihiro for hiding the news from him.

Then he had looked at her face. Her big brown eyes were wide and more than a little frightened. She was worried about how he would react. His heart had melted. How could she think that he was anything less than ecstatic? True it was sudden, but they were going to have a baby together. How could that ever be a bad thing? He did not remember exactly what he had said to her but he had done his best to try and reassure her that she and the child were more than wanted; they were loved, both of them.

Haku still felt terrified that he was going to be the worst sort of father. But as long as he had Chihiro he was sure she would guide him. His little one must be scared too, she was travelling the length of the spirit world to try and rescue him while at the same time dealing with pregnancy and the separation symptoms that she would be feeling from the mating bond. He was surprised she could even wake up in the morning let alone lead a quest.

He frowned; Yubaba was still in his cell. He could hear her heavy breathing.

"You have little to smile about, dragon," she said, her cracked voice almost irritating Haku.

"Oh, how wrong you are," Haku thought. "Captive, I may be, and my mate and child may be in danger but I have MUCH to smile about. I'm going to have a daughter!"

He smiled to himself again. He felt like he had in the first few weeks when he and Chihiro had been courting. He could not keep the stupid grin off his face. He wondered if the elemental part of him knew about the pregnancy. It probably did. Chihiro had been at their home the first time he had spoken to her.