Ch 8: Road Trip

Three weeks had passed by since you and Flip had last seen each other. You kept in contact daily for the most part over text, but your phone conversations had become sparse and shorter in length. There had been no other phone sex adventures since your first night away. You felt a growing suspicion that something, or someone, was distracting him. You had never felt so jealous before and it was causing a huge blow to your ego. Thankfully, Sara was flying in from Chicago that day to visit you for a whole week so you tried to push down all the Flip drama to focus on that.

You pulled up to the airport arrival zone and you immediately spotted Sara, looking just as you remembered her: dark shoulder-length hair, perfect olive skin tone, wearing all black with sunglasses covering her dark, heavily lined eyes. She spotted you right away, gave you a big smile and a wave. You quickly put the car in park, jumped out and ran over to embrace her.

 "YAY!! I'm soooo happy you're here!" You cheered as you bounced up and down

"I am so glad to see you... and be off that damn plane! Ugh, I hate turbulence. I've never prayed so much in my life, and I'm an atheist." She went on as she lit a much needed cigarette. "So! What's on the agenda?"

"Well, I thought we could drop your stuff off at my shitty apartment first, then I can show you where I work.. maybe introduce you to my drunk boss... then probably dinner wherever you want!" you offered, in a sarcastically upbeat tone.

She stared at you a moment seeming unimpressed while she took a long drag from her cigarette before squealing, "...Let's do it!"

No one understood you like Sara. She was the kind of friend who never expected daily calls or texts to prove your loyalty. You were always there for each other, through thick and thin, and would pick right back up where you left off even if you hadn't spoken for weeks. She was confident in herself and gave zero fucks to what others thought about her. She always gave sound advice, even if it was tough love. She had your back, always, if she thought you were being unreasonable. Basically, if someone ever crossed you, Sara would be the angel and the devil sitting on your shoulders, one whispering rational advice and the other ready to go to war with you.

"Holy shit, what is that smell?" Sara's nose scrunched as she stepped even further into your apartment.

"Dammit.. you can still smell it? Ugh. I tried getting rid of it but maybe I need to light some candles." You searched through some unpacked boxes, already knowing you wouldn't find any.

"Yeah...or we could just light this?" Sara said mischievously as she pulled a joint out from her purse.

"How on earth did you get through security with that?" You asked, collapsing on the sofa next to her, delighted that she brought the good stuff.

"A lady never reveals her secrets." Sara lit the joint and held in her first drag before passing it to you. "But... fucking someone who works in the TSA has its benefits."