Ch 1: Flirting on Dangerous Ground

You pulled up to the station on a chilly morning

You pulled up to the station on a chilly morning. It was only your second week at the Colorado Springs Police Department but your first week flew by so fast with several introductions, HR nonsense and figuring out what exactly you'd be doing that you still felt that nervous 'first day' feeling. Of course, you could do without your first official assignment; filing paperwork.

You thought to yourself "Why do they always have to initiate the new hires with all the shit work that no one else wants to do?"...

"Whatever." You said out loud this time, begrudgingly, before turning the ignition off and getting out of the car.

You spent years studying criminal justice with future plans of becoming a lead detective some day. You ended up in Colorado Springs unexpectedly a few weeks ago when you heard their investigation unit was graced with top quality talent. You thought it would be a smart career move since you wanted to find a mentor with a good reputation. But what you found was... Flip Zimmerman. Tall, hazel eyes, with beautiful dark hair that fell below his ears in such a groomed yet bed head styled manner. He was charming, mysterious... and the unit's best detective. THAT man was your mentor. And as of right now, you were only his coffee bitch. Black, no sugar. Of course that's how he takes it.

"Mornin' newbie," Flip said without looking up from his newspaper. You placed his cup of coffee on his desk. "Well look at that, you're already remembering the important things." He said with a smirk. "Good."

"You got it. Need anything else?" you said, quietly hoping he would request some kind of sexy favor just like in those cheap, badly written porno stories.

"Nope. All set." He said as he brought the coffee to his full lips and took a long sip.

"Ok. Cool. I'll just...go back to the filing room, I guess." The words trailed out of your mouth drenched with desperation but he didn't react. Jesus, get yourself together. He's not interested in playing games with you. You turned to walk away feeling silly about your thoughts.

"Wait." He spoke up, his voice low and deep. "Come here."

You froze; turned slowly back around and walked toward him, your heart pounding.

"Yes?" Your voice cracked a bit. "What is it?"

His eyes were burning into yours. You didn't know what exactly was happening other than you felt like you might explode with ecstasy just from staring at each other.

"This coffee is cold. Warm it up." He said, as a flirtatious smile slowly drew across his face. It was such a ridiculous request but at that point, you're willing to do anything if he smiles at you like that.

"Really? That's what you need?" You replied, gesturing to the mug. "I suppose operating a microwave is an acquired skill that not many have."