Chapter Nineteen

*More mentions of ancient fan-characters lol, I couldn't help myself.

A/N This is officially the first chapter I've posted during the school year! I'm just going into 9th grade and doing distance learning, so I should be able to keep working on this. But if my schedule gets messed up I will provide a reason. Peace! A/N over.

It had been weeks, heck, it had been a month and a half since the conference in America's capital. This didn't matter to Japan, who had once again scheduled a meeting for a few select nations. This time however, for whatever reason, he had left out Russia. He didn't know what it was but something about letting him in on the project was starting to rub him the wrong was.

He knew that the white haired man had started the operation, had trusted him enough to let Japan drag America into it when they both knew it was risky. He had hoped they could work out their difference but even with their partial alliance it felt strange to let someone had had diligently avoided worry about his former caretaker. This was especially increased by his pure lack of knowledge of why Russia had even started poking around, but he guessed it was for personal gain.

That was the scary part. He did not, under any circumstances want Russia to be able to use private information against any of them, especially someone that Japan still personally cared about.

So instead of being in the capital (where Japan guessed Russia could easily find them) the five of them were now seated in America's living room. (America had actually tried to complain about this, mentioning something about how it would be even easier for Russia to find them there, which confused Japan because he had been certain the former communist didn't know his address.)

But instead of negative things Japan tried to focus on the good. France had now joined them, which wasn't ideal though it couldn't have been avoided, and they now had someone who could possibly fill up Russia's spot if they indeed stopped communication on the subject entirely. Japan didn't fully trust France, either but he knew that the European was a lot more respectful of personal space and such subjects than his personality made it seem.

So there they sat, sitting around a small coffee table and listening diligently to England as he tried to explain what little information he had accumulated. America was chowing down on some drive-thru food, which was no surprise, as Canada was quietly chewing a maple candy as politely as he could. Japan had brought a bento but he wasn't hungry yet, and it seemed that France and England had done similarly with their own foods.

"...so that's all I could find," England sighed, "It's not much but I'm not the greatest at potions and the runes were harder to translate than I was anticipating..."

"That's alright," Canada smiled softly, "If you did your best it doesn't matter, and plus, any information is valuable,"

"Thank you Mathew," England's face seemed to soften before he turned back to the rest of them, eyes narrowing as he stared at the American who was perched on a pile of carpet squares, "good God Alfred, can you quiet down?"

America rolled his eyes, pushing the partially chewed bit of hamburger to the side of his mouth so he could speak, "I'm listening, what more do you want?" (Or at least that's what Japan guessed he was saying, it was often difficult for the Asian personification to tell what his ally said when his mouth was full of food.)

England seemed to think similarly. Wrinkling his nose, the British man looked disgusted, "Do not talk like that, it's utterly disgusting and no one can tell what you are saying. Besides, it's not very helpful to the conversation."

America snorted and went right back to eating his burger, "E-mf not 'hat hard to understan'," he again pushed the food to the side of his mouth to make his words more understandable, pointing an angry finger at the other blond, "If I wasn't trying to make sense I wouldn't, trust me."