Chapter Fourteen

A/N Hello everyone! I'm hoping not to make these start of chapter author's notes a regular thing but I needed to explain why I hadn't written after saying I was getting a schedule. (I actually had to go to a funeral and didn't get to write anything during my time there, so...)

So all of this was written basically on the four/five hour car ride home and edited the morning after. Then I hated it and re-wrote the end. I'm so sorry it took so long!

Alright, that's it, thank you very much! A/N over.

Pretending that he had to catch a phone call from his government, Russia had escaped the kitchen and left to stand in the hallway outside of it.

From his position in the hallway he could hear the wind in the branches of the trees that dotted the neighborhood and the soft clinking of dishware from the other room. Both were calming sounds, definitely comforting in it's differences from the whistling snow and ice that plagued his own home. Yet in it's own way he felt a different type of loneliness in the air, it was definitely not as bad as what he felt in his own home (though this could have been a personal preference of distraction from a new place).

Pulling himself back to the present, Russia reached into his coat pocket, searching for his phone.

It had been a major surprise to the other nations judging by how far behind he always seemed when he had been caught checking the date on the Nokia. America especially had seemed shocked, or maybe even insulted, by his ownership of the object. Amusing as the day might have been it was certainly an unpleasant insight to everyone's view of him. At the time he hadn't mentioned that he had only recently bought it and didn't fully know how it worked, but that certainly didn't need to be announced publicly.

Even China had teased him at that time, unaware that it had actually stung seeing as they were right out of the Cold War and all and neither of them had access to modern technologies only a few years before. It did make Russia feel slightly better when they were walking to their separate hotels and China confessed to him that he didn't have one yet.

A small smile playing on his lips, Russia quickly taped Japan's home number into the small device, hoping with all his cold heart that the Asian nation was awake.

It rang a few times before he heard the click of the device being picked up.

"本田菊, これは誰ですか?" Japan's cracked voice played into his ears.

"Ah Japan," the white haired personification purred in Russian, trying his hardest to make it sound as if he was talking to a government, hoping that China didn't remember enough to understand what he was saying.

"何?" Japan sounded confused. Along with this Russia was mildly aware of a brushing noise, as if he were sitting up. Had he woken him up anyway? And more importantly, was it night in Tokyo or was he taking a midday nap?

"It's Russia, this is my mobile phone," Russia said, trying to make his words clear even through the language barrier. He knew Japan spoke some Russian but he hadn't made it clear if he was conversational yet.

"A-ah," Japan stuttered, this time in English, "Hi Russia," he paused before tentatively continuing, as if worried, "...what do you want?"

"I'm-" Russia started, only to be cut off by the nation on the other side of the line.

"Why don't we talk in Japanese...?" Japan started, following it with "Or English-!" when Russia gave an unimpressed snort.

"I can't right now," Russia explained, "I'm in China."