Chapter Eleven

"I know that he was acting strangely..." Japan was sighing.

"Very much so..." Purred Russia, placing his full coffee cup on the table between his hands.

With a nod Japan closed his eyes, "It surprised me also, but why do you seem just as intrigued as me, maybe more so? I have know China for a very long time as you know..."

Russia let a small puff of air out of his nose, pushing the cup that sat between his hands from the right to the left twice before asking his own question and looking up into the smaller man's black eyes, "What makes you so troubled by that?"

Japan shrugged ever so slightly, just barely letting Russia catch onto it, "It's not that it's troubling, I'm just interested to know why you are so suddenly captivated by my brother."

The Russian frowned, stopping the movement of his coffee cup with his right hand, "Brother?"

Knitting his eyebrows together Japan bit his lower lip, frowning at the table, "Well... kind of, not really, we aren't actually related."

"I see." Russia muttered, bringing his lips into a tight line. Obviously the nation who now sat across from him did not know that Russia was merely curious, even if he was curious to see how he could harm or manipulate people around him with the information. However, he had also known China for a ridiculously long time, and far in the past they had even been friends.

Coughing, discomfort evident in his eyes at the short response from the Russian, Japan twisted his abdomen to the right and left by a few inches before facing forward again, "R-right, but Russia, there is something that I want to... to warn you about."

Russia tilted his head to the side as he sat up straighter, automatically listening intently for clues, "What is this warning?"

"China isn't going to tell you anything specific," the Asian man frowned worriedly.

"I-" Russia looked confused for a silent moment before continuing, "I knew that already, why?"

Japan blinked, "Well... he has a lot of secrets from the past? What other reason?"

"That's not what I- ugg, fine. Yes, I understand that quite well," Russia bit the side of his bottom lip, "do you know any of these secrets?"

"No." Japan immediately said, shaking his head quickly from side to side. But when he looked up at Russia again and noticed how hard he was being stared at, he hurriedly stuttered again, "a-actually, yes. Yeah, I do, or I have suspicions at least."

--------------- ------ ----- ---- --- --- -- - - - - -

Now standing in front of China's door, Russia was quietly thinking about his conversation with Japan and clutching a cheap bouquet of flowers inside one of his long sleeves. He paced on the front steps, wondering if he should knock on the door or see how long it would take for China to eventually notice him.

After Japan had mentioned secrets he hadn't mentioned anything specific, the same had been true with China. If the two of them both were referring to the same event then a fast path to his answer would be to torture it out of one of them, presumably Japan. Yet Russia didn't really have the energy for that, plus, it would make their relationship even more strained.

The Russian didn't really understand all of this relationship stuff, but that didn't exactly matter. He had to think of a solid excuse to be here yet again, both to China and his own government. The latter of whom would definitely have started to wonder why he had taken a regular passenger plane to Beijing twice in the last month. And as for China... well... their real friendship had ended a long time ago.