20- Sleeping With a Friend

I said ooh, ooh
You got me in the mood, mood
I'm scared
But if my heart's gonna break before the night will end
I said, ooh, ooh we're in danger
Sleeping with a friend, sleeping with a friend

-"Sleeping With a Friend" by Neon Trees

Chapter 20

Sage and I are sleeping together.

Well not sleeping together, per se, but sleeping in the same bed. Apparently, there was a specific part needed for my bed that was on back order at the moment, so Chris had no definite time frame for how long it would take to get my bed back. However I knew he was lying to me, because every time I asked him about it, the part had a new name. What these people did for a good show-or more specifically, see me embarrass myself- was limitless.

It had been three nights since that initial awkward mess that started it all. The second night we slept in the bed, I had decided to avoid the awkwardness of going to sleep at the same time by letting him go to bed first, and telling him that I wasn't tired (Despite the fact that I had just walked probably over a mile with Bentley). However, when I went upstairs, he had taken up the whole bed. There was no way I was going to wake him up, so I ended up waiting for an hour until he moved enough so I could squeeze into the bed.

The third night I decided that I would never sleep after him again. This awkward-nervous streak that I was going through had to stop, especially since it was costing me precious sleep. For some reason we ended up switching spots so that I was closest to the wall and not him. In the middle of the night, I kicked him off the bed, and he wasn't happy about that. Frankly, I think it was mostly his fault. He had to have been doing something wrong if a one hundred and forty pound girl could push him off the bed.

However, last night was not insanely bad; nothing terribly embarrassing happened to me. I woke up directly in front of Sage's sleeping face, and I admit that I stared a little bit, but he didn't notice. Plus, who cared if I stared? Sage was a good looking guy, I probably would've stared at any of these boys.

When I realized that Rose was still sleeping, I decided that I would use this free time to do exactly that- be free. I had started using the Twitter app more and more, a habit I should be trying to break, but it was a good time waster. I lay down and scrolled through the app for who knows how long before I heard Sage beginning to stir.

I glanced at him as his eyes opened, and when he noticed me, I gave him a nod.

He slowly propped himself up on his elbow, raising his eyebrow at me. "You're still here," he said.

Sage had a knack for stating the obvious.

"So?" I said, then went back to Twitter. I was in that dangerous position of laying flat on my back and holding my phone above my face, where the device could slip and hit my nose at any moment.

"Well I wanna get up," he said.

"Okay," I told him, not taking my eyes off the screen of my phone. I honestly didn't see how that had anything to do with me.

His silence was loaded; a calculating one. However I didn't notice until it was too late. He moved, and I expected him to just be shuffling or something, but out of absolutely nowhere he climbed on top of me.

Well not on top of me, per se, but hovering (I guess a respectable distance) above me, each of his hands resting beside the opposite sides of my head. With my eyes widened and staring at him, he just gave me a quick nod, as if to say "'sup."