17- Kiss Me

Chapter 17 

Kiss me like you wanna be loved
You wanna be loved
You wanna be loved
This feels like falling in love
Falling in love
We're falling in love

-"Kiss Me" by Ed Sheeran

"Hey Sage-" I stopped in my tracks as I saw the cigarette resting between his lips. Since when did he smoke? I'd seen pictures of him doing it before, or in movies, but I'd always assumed he was smarter than that. And this entire summer, I'd never seen him smoke, so why was he doing it now?

And most importantly, why did smoking, something that slowly kills you, look so good when Sage did it? I shook my head. It was probably the fact that he looked like he was in a magazine photoshoot; he was standing at a balcony, and his hair was gently blowing in the wind in the way that only celebrities could make look good.

"What." He asked, not even looking at me. He was obviously very irritated at something.

"Um, maybe you should put that away. I have Rose with-"

"No."

I blinked, then took a deep breath, calming myself down. I had dealt with Bad Guy Sage a billion times before, I could do it one more time.

I cupped my hand around Rose's face and mouth, as if she could actually breath, and said "I just wanted to ask if you had already fed Rose."

But he only shrugged. "I don't know. You do it."

Okay, maybe I couldn't deal with him one more time. "Well fuck you too then, asshole," I said, not bothering to censor myself, then turned around to walk out.

"No, Avery come back." There was a hand on my arm, stopping me from leaving. I looked up at Sage and rolled my eyes.

"Look, I don't know why you're angry at life or if you have regrets or something but do not take them out on me, okay?" I said.

He sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm not in the best mood." He took his hand off of my arm then turned around and went back to the railing.

"I can see that," I said and followed him. I tried to think of the best way to approach the situation. "So what's the problem?" Okay, maybe that wasn't it. 

He turned to me and raised his eyebrow. "Why?"

I blinked. Why was I asking him? I had thought about the incidents of the diaper shopping trip a lot, and how it seemed that Sage had a magical power to make people do things for him, and I had rationalized it with the fact that he was famous and attractive. But this was different. Seeing Sage sad made me sad.

"Because... I'm your friend, and friends ask each other stuff like that. We are friends right?" I asked, kind of afraid of the answer. I thought of Sage as a friend, which is why I wanted him to be happy.

But he only stared at me, his expression unreadable, but it seemed like there was a little sarcasm there.

"Sage, we are most definitely friends, whether you like it or not," I said finally, and it was sort of true. All of us on the show were friends, even though we fought a lot. 

He looked away from me, and didn't say anything for a long while. "Today's a bad day," he finally stated.

I stayed silent, trying to think of a way to respond to that. I almost wanted to scold him for taking it out on me, but that would accomplish absolutely nothing. "You're being extremely cryptic," I said.