3- Now Is The Start

Hey
Hey
Do you hear, do you hear
That sound
It's the sound of the lost gone found
It's the sound of a mute gone loud
It's the sound of a new start

-"Now Is The Start," by A Fine Frenzy

Chapter 3

"Rise and shine celebrities and Norms! It's time to finally figure out this season's challenge!"

I rolled over and my bed and groaned. What time was it? I felt around, and then realized that this wasn't my bed. I jumped up, my head spinning in the process, then remembered where I was.

A house filled with strangers.

The message that Chris had announced over the intercom finally clicked in my head and I sighed. I looked at the clock on the wall and saw that it was about ten o' clock, way later than I usually woke up, but considering my sleep last night, too early.

I stood up and stretched, then threw a pillow at the figure lying on the other bed in the room.

"Huh?" Bryson said as he shot up. He looked lazily around until his eyes landed on me. "Oh, you," he said.

"Chris says it's time to find out the challenge, so get up," I said as I went into my bathroom. I heard him grumble behind me, but also heard him getting up.

In the bathroom, I noticed that my toothbrush had already been placed in the holder, along with a pack of tooth paste. That was nice. I quickly brushed my teeth than retied my hair up. I was still in the same clothes from yesterday, but I didn't really care.

I walked downstairs to find that the only people here were Peyton and Aubrey. They were sitting on the couch with Chris, flipping through channels. I sat down next to Peyton and told her good morning, then we sat in silence as we waited for everyone else to get down here.

Eventually, all the contestants were downstairs and Chris stood in front of us as we all laid back on the couch.

"So, as most of you know, this show is known for its vigorous challenges, many people go home a little more broken than when they came," Chris said, still smiling like a weirdo. "And you also know that this is the youngest group of contestants we've ever had, our youngest being nineteen years old. So this year we decided to try something a little different."

He stopped talking, but then behind him, three people walked out holding what seemed to be babies in their hands.

What was going on?

"We're happy to say that with this season's challenge you will be able to proceed with your daily lives, the only difference is that you will be living here, and," he paused and motioned to the men with the babies in their hands. "You'll be taking care of these with your partner."

The men suddenly handed each girl in the room a baby. When I was handed mine, I got a better look at it. First of all, it wasn't a real baby, it was a doll, but not like the baby dolls I played with as a little girl. This one was heavy, like a real baby. It was wearing a pink onsie and matching hat and looked to be sleeping, or whatever sleeping was to a doll.

I turned it over and saw that there seemed to be some sort of speaker box attached to its back.

I wonder what that was for. I put the box to my head, and suddenly the loudest crying I had ever heard in my life came from it.

"Oh gosh, what the-" I shouted and clutched my ear, holding the baby away from me. This wasn't even a baby it was a death machine.

"What is this?" Naomi asked with a disgusted look, the baby at arms length away from her.