The Brick Lover Himself

Annabeth and Percy led Jason forward. Bobby was conspicuously absent. Annabeth was anxious that Helen might recognize her, but her stepmother was too focused on the veiled figure of Jason. "Well, well," Helen said, a smile stretched over her face. "You thought it was funny to stir up rebellions in my city?"

Jason coughed. "She's sick, Helen," Piper explained.

Helen shot a look of distaste towards Piper. "I don't care how sick my stepdaughter is," she said. "Ever since I married Frederick, she was in my way. It didn't matter that I bore him two perfect sons; Annabeth was always better."

She was sitting on a cushioned throne, but despite the comfort and opulence, she looked agitated. Her kohl-rimmed eyes were red and her forehead was creased with worry. Annabeth didn't get it. Her father had lavished Helen with attention. He had ignored Annabeth and sent her away to be raised in another household. The only preference he had shown her was by naming her his heir and that might have changed if he lived longer.

Helen suddenly smiled. "But it will be like that no longer. Guards, kill the traitor!"

Annabeth and Percy exchanged glances and then they both stepped forward, raising their swords. Helen's eyes flickered with recognition and shock. "Annabeth? You're dressed as a man? Then who is dressed as you?"

Jason ripped off his veil. He had given his sword to Annabeth, but he was carrying a brick in one hand. Helen erupted into laughter when she saw him. "Very well, Annabeth," she said. "You hired a eunuch and bribed one of my guards. I'll admit that is clever, but it won't be enough."

"Eunuch?" Percy asked. "Who is she calling a eunuch?"

"Not you, Seaweed Brain," Annabeth said.

"She means me," Jason said, lifting the brick above his head. "But she won't be saying that after she meets Brick-Ella over here."

He launched the brick in the air and it hit Helen between her eyes, causing her slump forwards on her throne. Annabeth and Percy ran forward and working as one, they lifted her off the throne. Piper ran to the door and let Gleeson into the room.

"Die!" he said, running through the doors.

He stopped a couple feet in front of where Percy was holding the unconscious Helen. "Aww rats," he said. "You're supposed to bash her and let me kill her."

"We're not killing anyone today," Piper said.

        Annabeth nodded in agreement and Gleeson sighed. "Not even a little head bashing?"

      Annabeth shook her head. "No, but I've got an important task for you: I need to to call all of the guards and inform them that they report to me now."

      "What about her?" Gleeson said, pointing at Helen.

     "She's going to be exiled," Annabeth said grimly.

      "And the emperor?" Gleeson asked. "Will he be executed?"

     Annabeth shook her head. "Killing him would make him a martyr. Besides, he's my brother. I couldn't do that."

      "Helen had no qualms killing your husband and child," Gleeson reminded her.

      "Annabeth isn't Helen," Percy said.

      "I'll take that as a compliment," Annabeth said.

      Percy sardonically smiled. "And this is how she will earn her epithet: Annabeth the Wise."

      Annabeth didn't know if she wanted to kiss him or judo flip him. Quite possibly both, but only with his consent. She smiled; who knew that a Seaweed Brain and a brick would bring her back to the throne?