Carpet Tunnel Syndrome

Percy still didn't think Annabeth's idea was a good one, but here he was, carrying her in a carpet wrapped in a tunnel, like the Seaweed Brain she said he was. It was a month since Annabeth decided to fight for her crown. At first, Percy was sure some persuasion could staunch her desire, but she was firm and, he realized, ambitious.

Annabeth knew what people said of ambitious women and she had already thought ahead. Helen has seized power in the guise of giving it to her son. Annabeth had been a target, but looking back, she realized she was never the top priority; her husband and son were. She knew that if she was going to legitimize her claim to the throne, she would likely have to play the same game as Helen. She would use male power to prop up her own.

The city of Constantinople was bustling with life as Percy carried his load over his back. Piper and Jason flanked him like guard dogs. "We're nearly there," Piper breathed.

Percy heaved. He had been carrying Annabeth for over an hour and it felt like he was trying to keep the sky from falling to the earth. "Here, you should rest for a minute," Jason said, putting his arms out to catch the rug.

     Percy shifted the weight into Jason's arm and sighed in relief. It was a fair day and summer was nearly over. Soon it would be harvest season, but he feared the only thing Annabeth would reap is a plot of land where she would be buried.

       "Tell me again why I agreed to do this," Percy said as he prepared to take ahold of the carpet again.

       Jason lifted up the carpet and shifted the weight onto Percy's back again. "Because you are loyal."

     "When this is over," Percy said. "I'm going home and enjoying my mother's cooking."

     Piper patted his shoulder. "You still have to finish your twenty remaining years of service."

      Percy sighed and strode forward. He was exhausted and sweat glistened on his brow, but he could see a beautiful Church with a large dome. It was only a few minutes away.

"The Hagia Sophia," Percy breathed.

"Built by Emperor Justinian," Jason added.

"The largest Church in the world," Piper said.

They had heard Annabeth go on and on about the Church and its architecture so much that they all felt a little sad that she couldn't see it now. Percy stepped inside the Church and searched for a one-eyed priest. When he caught sight of him, Percy strode towards him with Piper and Jason at his tail.

Percy kneeled before the priest. Piper and Jason took the burden off of his back. "Ethan, I beseech you by the name our Lord to grant us protection and sanctuary," Percy said.

Ethan nodded. Piper and Jason unrolled the carpet. Annabeth rolled over to one side and got to her feet. "Your Holiness," she said. "I have come in the name of my lord and our Lord," she said. "Helen murdered my family and tried to kill me. I need your help."