Starting Anew

Annabeth woke up feeling more exhausted than when she had lain down. The fuzzy shadows of her nightmares flitted through her mind. She turned her head to the side and saw Juniper and Grover curled up together in a sweet repose. A lump build up in her throat; she and Luke had been like that once.

Annabeth turned her head the other way and her gaze fell upon the slumbering form of Percy. She felt a strange prickling sensation overcame her; it was as if she was Actaeon when he had spied on Diana bathing. She turned away and focused on the wooden roof, using her eyes to trace the lines in it.

      Annabeth wasn't sure how long she lay there before the others stirred. All she knew was that she felt an intense relief. Staring at the ceiling was not a good distraction for a mind that tossed and turned like a ship caught in a storm.

      They ate a simple breakfast of bread and olives outside, washing it down with sips of watered down wine. "Juniper and I are thinking of going to the city today," Grover said.

     Juniper nodded. "We've been saving up money for a goat to give us fresh milk and cheese."

        Juniper and Grover were not the poorest of farmers, but they had no livestock. Percy had been forced to send their horses to his brother Tyson because they couldn't afford the upkeep for them.

     "That's good for you," Annabeth said. "My favorite bread in the palace was the herbed one with goat cheese."

"Okay, that was good, but my mother's blue bread is the best," Percy said.

Annabeth shot a look at Percy. "Blue bread?"

"Yeah," Percy said. "My mother is a miracle worker."

Annabeth smiled, remembering Sally's hospitality. "I can believe that."

"Well, we probably don't have the same recipe as the palace kitchen," Juniper said, "but we can see about trying."

She and her husband stood up. "Goodbye," Grover said. "We should be back by dusk."

Percy was quiet as the two farmers left. Annabeth put a hand tentatively on his shoulder. "They'll be back soon."

Percy nodded and then squared his shoulders and raised his chin. "There's no time to waste. We've got a farm to take care of."

Percy was right. There wasn't time to waste. They worked hard that day, tending to the crops. They watered them and pulled out weeds. When they were finished, Annabeth started cooking and Percy began gathering kindling.

They ate a midday meal of bread, olives, and a vegetable soup outside. "Your cooking has improved a lot," Percy commented.

"What's that supposed to mean, Seaweed Brain?" Annabeth asked.

A blush spread over Percy's face. Annabeth couldn't help noticing how his muscles seemed more developed and how his face looked like it was made by a sculptor and cut from marble. "I just mean that you grew up never having to cook," Percy said, "and you've adapted well to life as a farmer."

     Annabeth raised her chin. "Then it's time. I'm ready to fight for my empire."