How I Met Your Mother

Annabeth was still in a state of shock when they got into the city. "We should sell the horses," Annabeth said. "That way it's harder to track us done."

    Percy frowned. "I cannot say goodbye to Blackjack."

      Annabeth sighed. She had lost a husband and a son and he was upset over a horse. Then, she caught his gaze and her anger crumbled. Loss was loss; who was she to judge when she had born so much grief?

     "We can keep them," Annabeth said.

      "We should dismount at least," Percy said. "My mother's home is near the southwest wall."

       As they walked through the streets, Annabeth inhaled the aromas in the air: warm bread, fragrant perfumes, the earthy scent of clay, and the musky scent of work animals. Annabeth kept stopping to look at certain shops and people who filled up the agora. There were so many sights that she could've spent all day there, but Percy tugged her sleeve whenever she grew too focused on one thing.

      Percy himself was distracted. His gaze kept flickering around and he couldn't seem to hold still like Annabeth could. Perhaps that was what helped him get a job as a palace guard, but Annabeth couldn't help feeling a twinge of irritation whenever he pulled her away from a fascinating sight.

      They left the agora and wove through the city. When she caught sight of the Parthenon on the hill, a gasp left Annabeth's lips. Next to the new buildings surrounding her, the temple seemed ancient and mysterious. Percy's gaze followed her own. "They say Athens was named for its patron goddess, Athena."

Annabeth smiled as she recalled the stories her tutor had taught her. "I always liked how Athena used wits before using force. She reminds me of my mother."

      "I can take you to a private shrine if you'd wish to pay your respects to her," Percy said.

     Annabeth's eyes widened so that she resembled an owl. "I would not worship a pagan goddess!"

     "Some still do," Percy said lightly, shrugging his shoulders. "The temples may be closed, but laws cannot tell people what to believe."

      "Over time they can change opinions," Annabeth argued. "Why else has Christianity flourished after Constantine I made it the official religion?"

Percy shrugged again. "You'd know more about it than I."

He gestured. "My mother's house is nearby."

They walked for about five more minutes and came to a stop outside a small house. Percy knocked on the entrance and the door was soon opened by a brunette woman with a kindly smile and a baby in her arms. Annabeth's throat constricted.

"Percy!" the woman cried, stepping forward.

Percy's face broke into a wide grin. "Mother, Estella. It's great to see you. Can we come in?"

"Of course," Percy's mother said.

She led them in and they sat down near the stove where she was cooking. She turned to Annabeth. "My name is Sally, dear, and yours?"

"Mother," Percy said. "This is Annabeth, the former empress."

Sally's eyes widened in shock, but she regained her composure and gave another wide smile. "Well, Paul will be coming home soon and you can all have dinner. I have many questions, but they can wait until afterwards. I hope that works for you."

Annabeth was only too happy to oblige.