Journey Westward

In the weeks that followed, Annabeth and Percy journeyed westward on horseback. They stopped at inns on the way where they slept and their horses stayed in stables. By the time they were in Greece, Annabeth realized that though they were in the same empire, it seemed like an entirely different world. The people they saw didn't wear the elaborate garments of palace folk and she heard many more languages spoken than she knew.

"We're almost to Athens," Percy said one morning.

"I cannot wait," Annabeth said. "I have always wanted to see the architecture. The columns, the friezes, even the statues."

     She rambled on about how Athenian architecture was a display of imperial wealth and power until Percy's eyes glazed over. "How are you feeling scour this all?" Annabeth asked.

      "I'm excited to see my friends and mother," Percy said.

      The road was pretty quiet now and since it was only morning, the sun wasn't too harsh against their backs. Still, all the time in the sun had burned and then tanned Annabeth's skin.

"Will we be staying with your mother?" Annabeth asked.

"Only for one night," Percy said. "My mother lives in Athens and I think it would be safer for you to stay in a smaller town."

      Annabeth nodded and then realized Percy probably couldn't see the gesture. "That is wise. There are less likely to be spies in a small town, but we will stick out like sore thumbs."

     "Not if we have a backup story," Percy. "The people there know me."

       "I've got it," Annabeth said. "I can pretend to be your slave. Piper can do the same."

     Percy bit his lip to stop from saying it wouldn't be pretend for Piper. He looked at Annabeth's hands. They were soft and unused to hard-labor. She could wield a dagger well enough, but could she really cope with the reality of life as a normal person - let alone a slave? Though Annabeth called him a Seaweed Brain, Percy knew enough to stay silent on this matter.

     They rode in relative silence after that for a few hours. Percy saw the familiar sights before Annabeth did. Stationed outside of the city were guards at the gates. Percy guided Blackjack forward and Annabeth followed on her own stallion, her face tending up as she saw their glittering armor and sharpened spears.

       Two guards raised their spears and Percy dismounted. "Good day to you," he said, slipping into a bow.

      One of the soldiers looked flattered, but the other narrowed his eyes. "What are you doing here?"

     "I came to visit my mother," Percy said. "She lives here."

       "And what about her?" one of the guards asked, pointing at Annabeth.

     "Surely it's not a crime to take my slave with me on a journey?" Percy asked.

      The two guards gazed at him and then nodded. One of them chuckled. "I daresay you chose to bring along a pretty slave girl for a reason."

     Annabeth clenched her fists and forgot her fear. "I protect him."

      The two men exchanged glances and then laughed. "She's a feisty one. Is she Gaullic?"

     Percy shook his head. "I bought her in Constantinople."

    "You can go through," The chuckling guard decided. "Have fun with your little wench."

      Percy exhaled in relief as they passed through. They had made it to Athens.