And We'll Always be Royals

It was strange to go into the palace as if she was a guard. Annabeth was used to people showing deference to her, but now it was Jason who their eyes were drawn towards. Piper had tied his hands up with a rope and he walked with his head down.

      Two lanky guards blocked Annabeth's way. "Who is this, Percy?" one of them asked.

    They were both curly haired men with ferret-like bodies and mischievous smiles. They looked similar enough to be brothers, but different enough to not be identical twins. "My name is Magnus," Annabeth said, deepening her voice. "I joined the guards recently."

    "Percy, where have you been?" the other man asked.

   "Connor," Percy said, inclining his head towards the one who had just spoken. "Travis. I woke up in Greece without a memory."

      Travis' eyes widened. "Really?"

       Percy nodded. "All I remembered was one name: Annabeth."

       "Huh," Travis said. "Even with memory loss, you're loyal."

       "How did you regain your memory?" Connor asked.

      "It came back with time," Percy said, "but it took forever. When I regained it, I knew I had to return immediately."

      "We're glad to see you," Connor said, "and Helen will be pleased to see you captured Annabeth."

      Travis sighed and his shoulders dropped. "I wish Annabeth was still in charge," he said quietly. "Bobby doesn't really know what he's doing and his mother is ruling through him."

        Connor nodded in agreement. "I wish you the best, empress."

    Jason coughed. "She's been suffering from a cold," Piper invented quickly. "And she lost her voice, but she thanks you."

     The brothers gave Jason one last sympathetic glance before leaving. Annabeth and Percy decided to grab Jason by the arms, looking rougher than they were. Piper trailed behind them with her head bowed.

"Percy!" someone said. "I cannot believe you're alive, loukomades."

Annabeth felt like a dagger had been thrust into her chest and jealousy courses through her blood. Then, she noticed that Percy looked embarrassed and the person who had greeted him was known other than Gleeson Hedge, the head of the guards.

He was a short, burly man who carried a wooden club in his hands. He was known for being a loyal and sometimes overzealous guard whose favorite saying was "Die!" When he saw Jason, disguised as Annabeth, he stopped in front of Percy and casually picked up his wooden club. "What are you doing with this lady?"

       Percy scratched the back of his neck. "I'm taking him — her to the emperor. That's what our orders said."

      "Well forget the emperor's orders," Gleeson said. "I'm the head of the guards!"

      "I know," Percy said awkwardly.

       "Gleeson," Annabeth said, speaking in her natural voice. "It's alright. We have a plan."

    His eyes widened, but then he nodded. "I'll come with you."

     Percy looked at Annabeth who shrugged. The party pressed forward until they were outside the throne room. Gleeson knocked on the doors. "We have an important prisoner for you," he said. "It's Annabeth."

     The large doors opened.

     "Bring her on in," Helen said.