Chapter 20 - Sailing Bones

Quick and Important Author's Note: Sorry for the lack of activity and updates on Wattpad. I had an emergency during the holidays and had to move out of my apartment. I'm back in my hometown but sadly don't have internet at the moment. I uploaded this chapter with my phone through a document transfer from my laptop and a downloaded app. So I apologize if there is any weird formatting. If there is, let me know, and I'll try to fix it.

20.

Sailing Bones

The captain was excited when he realized a Gabard had boarded his ship. He claimed to be a distant cousin from one of the bannermen under the Gabard name. If the truth, Sianna felt his toothless grins and poxy face probably made his cousins think he wasn't distant enough.

Captain Theerio, as he introduced himself, dragged Sianna and the rest-minus Iari and Kota that boarded the ship separately-through the deck, pointing out which staircases lead to which dwelling.

Deckhands were scattered throughout the whole ship. They worked on deck, bringing up the anchor, and aloft, tying the sails. Whenever a sailor would scuttle by them, the captain would shout at him in his native tongue. Sianna was impressed at how many languages the gritty looking captain knew. Once the ship was adrift, dozens of oars thrust out from the sides of the hulls and dipped into the water, pushing the ship out of the port.

As soon as movement was felt, Deneck's jaw set and his eyebrows furrowed under his blindfold. It wasn't till Deneck gripped the railing with the movement of a moderate wave that Sianna realized he was seasick. A laugh almost slipped out from her at the absurdity of it: such a human thing for a Rhokin to feel ill.

"Are you feeling sick as well, Reth?" Sianna asked him as they continued to follow the captain's long, salt-eaten coat.

"No, ser, but I feel Deneck's sickness is quite strong," he answered without looking at her.

The dark-haired Rhokin was on one knee, both his hands clutching the railing so tight, Sianna felt she could see the white of his knuckles though his black gloves. Aldermeck was standing by him, a hand on his back.

The captain gave them a sympathetic look. "You alright there, Brother?"

Aldermeck turned to him. "Would you mind taking us to our quarters? Brother Han does not do well on the sea."

Captain Theerio looked at Lycin as if asking for permission. He smiled and nodded. The captain returned the gesture and took them belowdecks to a hallway of cabins lit by lanterns nailed to the walls. The wooden doors were widely spread apart, suggesting the rooms were spacious. At the end of the passageway was a set of stairs that probably led to less savory parts of the boat.

"My cabin shall be yours, Lord Gabard," the captain said, pointing to the double doors to the right.

Lycin smiled as he eyed the deep and elaborate carvings on them. "And your bed?"

He gave a toothless grin. "Wide and large, m'lord."

"Excellent. I thank you for your services, Captain Theerio. My House shall remember your hospitality towards me. Have my things brought up here, but leave them outside for now. I'm going to be busy." Lycin opened one of the doors with one hand and pulled on Calera's arm with the other. The door closed behind them and the sound of a sliding lock was heard.

Sianna crossed her arms, staring at the carved swirls and leaves on the double doors. The captain's chuckle caught her attention.

"You can pick any three rooms for yourselves," he said to them.

"No need for an extra room," Aldermeck said, holding up the slouched Deneck. "I will be staying with Brother Han."

The captain gave them an odd look. Only sisters could sleep in the same room. Brothers slept alone, not even able to sleep in the same room with another Brother.