Chapter 13 - Desire's Intrigue

Dedicated to SeekersUnited for all your votes and comment. Thank you. ^^

13.

Desire's Intrigue

She hadn’t noticed anything until the door closed behind her. Sianna found herself in her new chambers. Had a servant brought her here? Or had it been Lycin? The only thing running through her mind was the Rhokin girl she had seen and her big, liquid–silver eyes. She clasped her sword as she remembered locking sights with her. 

Her hair was done in little braids falling before her shoulders. Just like little girls but she’s not one. No matter how pretty her auburn hair looked.

Sianna stepped into the room, eyes sweeping it. It was large, as she had expected, with a featherbed that looked big enough for five sleeping bodies. A fire was roaring, warming the room. The only window was tall and narrow like a giant arrow racing towards the heavens. Its drapes were drawn back, adding a sheen gloss to the marble furniture. She felt like a rock herself surrounded by such grey. Even the privy had a marbled seat.

 As she walked around the room, her footsteps would muffle when she’d pace over rugs embroidered with purple, silver, and black patterns. Sianna removed the few pieces of her armor and her sword, placing them on a table. The rugs were too pretty to allow her dirty chainmail to clang on it. Her eyes were held by the faded seal of Dracarr on the chest piece. 

“He didn’t tell me,” she said to herself. “Reth didn’t tell me he had awakened his magick. Next time I see him, I am going to kill him. Or maybe I’ll order him to fall on his sword.”

She sighed, recalling his demeanor with the Dux. He had done well. His conduct was precise, nothing short of what was to be expected when addressing those ranked higher than himself. He kept quiet and poised and only spoke when spoken to. Even when the Dux had shown surprise, Reth kept his face indifferent and continued to wait on his words.

Aldermeck had played her part too. She had called a Rhokin “ser” and had even been interrupted by one. It was an odd sight to see the Leitnant—the highest Guard ranking and source of power Sianna had ever experienced—be brought down to the level of a fresh Miles recruit. It had been Inya. Inya and Essdin, the Dux’s Rhokin.

I’m surrounded by Rhokin. Everywhere I turn. Nothing but damn Rhokin.

A knock interrupted her thoughts. Sianna opened the door to see a scrawny lady look up at her.

“My lady,” she said. One hand held a tray of fruits, bacon, and roasted meat and the other carried a silver pitcher. She entered and walked across the room to one of the many marble tables and placed the food on top of it.

“Does my lady need anything else?” she asked Sianna.

“No, thank you.” She shook her head, the food having awakened her hunger.

After feasting, Sianna went to the bed and threw herself on it. She sunk into its unfamiliar comfort. It was the sound of knocking that woke her up. The room was dimmer as was the fire. She sat up, surprised she had fallen asleep.

Another lady, fresher and younger looking than the previous servant, was at the door. She smiled at Sianna and presented her with a folded black cloth.

“My lady, this is for you,” she said.

It took a moment for Sianna to realize it was clothes.