Chapter 22 - A Waterfall Between Worlds

22.

A Waterfall Between Worlds

The twisting pain in his stomach had subdued, and the blood stopped trickling from his mouth. Reth wiped his lips with his thumb, the fifth time he had done it. He wasn't sure what else to do while in Calera's presence. Reth didn't understand why she insisted on sitting next to him. Every time Reth would catch her gaze, Calera's eyes would dart down to the bloody, matted fur beneath her crossed legs.

The blond Rhokin gave her a curious look before searching for his ser. Sianna was sitting beside Aldermeck, Deneck a few feet away. Iari and Kota were next to them. The user was still asleep, head snuggled like a baby bird between the Nayichi's lap. Lycin was furthest away from the group, lying on the ground with his hands laced under his head.

Everyone appeared like red and black statues that had been placed outside to dry under the sun. Except there was no sun. Only a mysterious, dim light that shone like a reluctant candle.  

"You were incredible," Calera whispered, the smoothness of her voice cradling his ears like a feather's stroke.

Reth turned to her and her sunken eyes didn't look away this time. "I do not understand what you mean," he said.

"You summoned lighting during the battle. It was incredible. I felt it as if it went through my own body." She inched closer to him.

He could smell the flesh worm's blood on her. It was an oddly sweet odor like the burnt honey he would smell when he walked past the herbs and salves stand during his rounds back at the Citadel. Reth nodded at Calera, her face a thin, bloody mask. He was at a loss at what to say and wished his ser would call for him. Instead, Lycin's voice was heard.

"Are you done gawking?" Lycin stood over Calera. "I'm sure your dear Reth is fine enough that he doesn't need you hovering over him. Am I right, Reth?"

Lycin's bright green eyes landed on him, and the Rhokin scowled. He didn't like what he saw in Lycin's gaze. It reminded Reth of the time he had battled a regular Magus outside the Citadel. He had slipped on a fallen fish from a broken stall that had been abandoned by a fleeing merchant. Reth's foot had split open the fish's body, entrails fanning out like a stroke of red paint. The slime of guts and gore had glistened under the sun, and that was what Reth now saw in Lycin's eyes. Orbs of slime perched over crooked, fish bone shaped grins.

"Yes, ser," Reth answered Lycin, eyeing his stained Leitnant cloak.

Lycin gave him a knowing smile before he turned to Calera and placed a rough hand on her arm. He jerked her to her feet, released her, and walked away. She followed without a glance at Reth. The two walk past his seated ser and the sleeping Iari to sit closer to Deneck's crater. He watched Lycin question Calera, sometimes reaching over to place a hand on the female Rhokin's back only for her to nod or shake her head.

Reth still didn't understand why she had sat with him.

"How odd for you to be caught so off guard," Deneck said. "I don't think you even heard what I asked you."

He turned to see his silver eyed friend seated next to him, an easy smile on his lips. Deneck's clothes were darkened by the flesh worm's blood that had fallen on him, but his skin was clean. Reth noticed the tears on his sleeves and at the bottom of his soiled tunic, shredded as if hacked by razors. Fading spots of red covered his exposed arms and hands.   

"Deneck, I did not see you there," Reth said.

"That much is obvious." His friend's smile widened but then faltered. "I know you are still discovering your magick, but did it take you longer than usual to recover from your pain seal?