Chapter 16 - Of Departure and Desire

Dedicated to Pantuteros for his support. ^^

16.

Of Departure and Desire

“You are leaving now?” Sianna knew the answer to her question before it left her lips.

Leitnant Aldermeck was in uniform and standing in front of the castle gates. A small host of horses and soldiers were behind her, loading sacks, bed rolls, trunks, wineskins, and other provisions onto a wooden cart tied to one of the mounts.

“Leitnant?” Sianna said, taking a step towards her.

She turned around and smiled at Sianna. It seemed sad. “It is Meryl, Sianna. I have told you countless times before.”

“It does not matter what I call you if you are leaving.”

She sighed. “I was going to send word to you before I left. We are simply packing at the moment.”

“Word? Did I miss something? We were supposed to leave at the end of the week. This is two days earlier than our given date.”

Aldermeck chuckled. “I am leaving early, Sianna. Your departure is still on the same day.”

Sianna studied her smiling face. “When was this ordered? Why?”

“It was yesterday. While you were battling Magus by the docks, I was given instructions to leave today.”

“Do you know why?”

She shrugged. “It is how these things occur. Perhaps Porthstead has urgent need of me.”

“I was actually hoping to speak to you about something.” Sianna sighed. “There was something Reth had told me about the Magus from yesterday.”

“He told you orange Magus do not exist? Deneck spoke to me the same words after Jabel fell. I have relayed the information to the Captain. He said the Dux’s Rhokins had informed them of the same thing.”

Sianna frowned. “So this is a recent finding?”

Aldermeck’s face hardened. “Very recent it seems. Gwyn Caps may have been their initial attack. Maybe they have appeared in other areas in the north, but it is too early to tell. If a new form of Magus has appeared, the Guard and the Imperator at Lessithar Citadel must be informed.”

“The Dux plans on sending a message to the Citadel with Sianna. He sent out birds as well, but birds can be eaten or shot down. He wants to make sure it is received,” Lycin said.

Sianna turned to him. She had forgotten he was there standing with them. In fact, he was the one that had approached her in the training yard that morning to tell her about the Leitnant’s departure. His approach had been so quiet, Sianna would’ve taken his head off with an attack that was meant for Reth if Calera hadn’t caught the blade between the flat of her hands.    

The Leitnant gave Lycin a look that asked how he knew that.

He shrugged and grinned. “My family knows all that goes on with the Guard here, so I know as well.”

“Of course, Gabard.”

His grin grew and Sianna rolled her eyes.

“We are almost done packing, ser,” Deneck said as he came up to Aldermeck.

She nodded but Sianna thought she saw her eyes darken.

“Ser Rayoss and Ser Gabard. How nice of you to see us leave,” Deneck smiled at them. “You have saved me the trouble of looking for you.”