Chapter 3 - Power of the Soulless

Dedicated to m4sean for his awesome and nagging comments to get me to update. Haha. XD

3.

Power of the Soulless

Sianna winced as an orange, sticky substance was applied to her injured arm. The mashed up herb had been mixed with something that attacked her nose hairs, intensifying her headache and renewing her desire to throw up.

"Stop whinin', Sianna," a thick set, young woman said, her voice a huff as if talking to a child.

Sianna glared at her with hazy eyes still dilated from last night's alcohol. Her head was resting on the Leitnant's table, wounded arm spread out for Kem, one of the town's sage's apprentices, to mend.

The young healer rolled her eyes. "Please, Sianna. You thought pouring wine over your wounds was a good idea? That's why you woke up with your arm itchin' this mornin'."

Sianna tried to say "shut up" but it came out as a groan. Kem answered by slamming her mortar and pestle next to her head. She might as well have hit her with it.

"Kem. Please mind my table. It is dragon bone, you know." The Leitnant's voice streaked across the room. "Indeed, Sianna. What possessed you to pour wine in your wounds when Kem would have gladly tended to your injuries?"

Sianna rolled her eyes to look at her. How was the Leitnant up and perfectly fine after last night? She had drunk more than any of them. Half the soldiers woke up still drunk, something the Leitnant chewed them out for. They were all still part of the Guard and had responsibilities. Never mind it was her idea for them all to drink last night.

Her headache spiked as she recalled Aldermeck's lecture, personally reserved for her. "You may be a Leitnant now, Rayoss, so you cannot mope around as you are. Come. I summoned Kem to my office to treat your arm properly."

Sianna shoved herself off the table and slumped on her seat. "You could've told me that last night before I did it, Lei-uh, Meryl. We weren't drunk yet."

Aldermeck came up to her with a smile. "It was your day, Sianna. You were allowed to do as you pleased."

Again Sianna groaned.

The Leitnant reached over Kem's hunched figure that was bandaging Sianna's arm-drawing more hisses from her as she did-and pulled out several rolled up parchments. She took them next to the lit fireplace to read.

"Your Rhokin is to arrive later on this afternoon," she said to Sianna without looking up from the papers in her hand.

This time Sianna's grunt wasn't because of her hangover.

"There," Kem said, wiping her hands on her stained apron.

The young lady began to pack her brown pouches of herbs, measuring spoons, and other materials in her satchel as Sianna flexed her hand. A warming sensation trailed down her fingers, originating from her treated wounds. It relaxed her, pulling a smile on her face.

"You're welcome," Kem said.

Sianna grinned at her. "Thank you, Kem."

The sage-in-training held out a calloused palm and lifted her blonde eyebrows.

She turned to Aldermeck.

"She did treat your wounds, Sianna. Pay the girl," she answered.

"Of course," Sianna grumbled and picked out her money pouch secured behind her armor piece.

"Thank you, ser." Kem smiled and pocketed the money.

"Yeah. Now you call me ser," she grumbled as she plopped back on the cluttered table.